1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite unsolved mystery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the Bermuda triangle doesn't really have more lost at sea ships/planes than other similarly sized areas of ocean.
    But there probably within the overall triangle collection of disappearances some that are interesting.
    Mostly I attribute it to people believing things are more safe than they are and that we have more control than we do.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Certainly some of the individual disappearances would be interesting. But I don't find the Bermuda Triangle as a whole interesting, because the answer is with 99.99999999999999999999999999999999 percent certainty: There's nothing to know.

Now whether there is life elsewhere in the universe? Whatever the answer is, I'd like to know.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Agreed on both.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A sports related one: The death of Ed Delahanty.

A Hall of Fame player who died when he either fell or jumped off a bridge near Niagara Falls after being supposedly kicked off a train for being drunk and disorderly. A couple of mysteries with that, which was 1. Why was he on the train to begin with, because, while the AL and NL had made peace, supposedly John McGraw was trying to entice Delahanty to jump to the Giants anyways, and 2. How did he die? He had some financial problems (i.e., spending too much) that he was despondent about, but there was also speculation that he was murdered.

It's quite crazy to think about today, how one of the best ballplayers died, and nobody knows how he did so.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Wasn't he raging drunk, the reason he was kicked off the train?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pretty much, although there was some speculation that he was what we would now consider to be mentally ill.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who was boom?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

that's not a mystery. well, not to me anyway. he gave himself up pretty clearly with a particular publication he kept touting.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't read past this post, but DB Cooper was the first that jumped to mind.

Amelia Earhardt's disappearance has also fascinated me since grade school.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Also, who killed Tupac? Who killed Biggie? I'm stunned there's barely even anyone suspected of the killings. They've got basically nothing on the killings of two of the most influential pop culture icons of the '90s.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm concerned @MisterCreosote might need to be added to this list. Where's that guy been?

Huge loss for the board if he's gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted