1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite unsolved mystery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Actually, they did base an episode on the case, now that I think of it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever proven who put the "Ram" in the "Ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong"? I'd like to shake his hand...

expendable likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wikipedia isn't the most credible source, of course, but they have a page that links to hundreds of stories of unsolved disappearances going back thousands of years. One could spend several days reading them.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might not make sense, but I don't think there's a lot of "unsolved mystery" there. He was caught red-handed when a potential victim ran naked out of his apartment and flagged down the cops.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That one's been solved. It was the Loch Ness Monster.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

In my college days, there were two guys on my dorm floor from Skidmore. They absolutely refused to talk about this, and believe me we tried real hard to get them drunk enough to spill the beans to no avail. It really is an odd, odd case.

Liut likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One other fun story, possibly apocryphal, was how one time, McElroy was in a bar trying to bully elderly patrons to give him their social security checks. Also in the bar was pro wrestler Harley Race, who,legitimately was one of the toughest in the business. Supposedly, Race got pissed off seeing McElroy bullying the old men, so he went up to him and knocked him off the bar stool. McElroy recognized Race (who was also known for carrying a gun to ward off overzealous fans who thought wrestling was real), knew his reputation, and went away without the seniors' checks.

Liut likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Hoffa thing is really weird in that guys like frank sheeran (the irishman) and others made death bed or late life admissions of their role in his death. Has that happened with JFK? I'm not aware bc I don't think it's much of a mystery. Oswald acted alone IMHO.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Also, the original Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack is on Amazon Prime now.

I'm a true crime junkie, so I have a lot of pet cases.

Maura Murray (21-year-old girl who told several lies, drove up into New Hampshire and crashed her car. No trace has been found of her since)
    Ghost Blimp (2 guys in the Navy flew an airship around the San Francisco bay. It crashed with no one on board)
    Springfield Three
    Danny Casolero and the Octopus
    Ray Gricar

One of the most baffling ones was Blair Adams. He was acting erratically in the days leading up to his death, bought a ticket to Germany, tried to drive across the border from Canada to the US, but was denied because they thought he was a drug trafficker. So he exchanged his ticket, got into the US, flew to DC, rented a car, drove to Knoxville, TN and was found dead from a ruptured stomach the next day.

If you'd like to sleep with the lights on a few nights, read up on the Original Night Stalker (not Richard Ramirez). Creeper raped women and then would call them weeks/years later and leave CREEEEEEEEEEPY voice messages on their answering machines.

Also, is Andy Kaufman dead?

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I know someone named Mel. Can't wait to tell him his hole is missing.

Draft saved Draft deleted