1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite television characters...and why!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 26, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I so agree with Butters.

Anyone who drops em to his ankles and then lifts his his shirt with both hands to pee is cool by me.

[​IMG]

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Alex P. Keaton -- I've known many kids just like this.
    Pa Ingalls -- Because

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Lenny and Squiggy (Laverne and Shirley): I just loved their sense of timing. Laverne and Shirley mention something disgusting and they jump right in with "Hello!"
    Steve (Marcy's first husband from Married with Children): He was such a tool. The Bundys played practical jokes on him ("Why is my Mercedes getting 2 miles to the gallon?") and he was clueless about them.
    Johnny Drama: "Maybe I should take that anger management course the judge wanted me to take."
    Alex from Taxi: The sane one, the voice of reason. It kind of interested me how he ended up being a cab driver when it seemed like he could do so much better.
    Joe Friday: How he dealt with the counterculture types made that show.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was wondering why, too.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

1. Zack Morris, Saved By The Bell: Like ... duh. Morris was ... is my idol. When I was in elementary school, I wanted to be the star athlete, the best-looking guy, the most popular kid in school and date a girl named Kelly. I have a couple friends named Kelly, so not everything is a lost cause.

2. Cory Matthews, Boy Meets World: Cory was every adolescent boy. I lived through his questions, the answers, his successes and his failures. Cory's life, in a weird way, mirrored mine. I grew up with him, and he grew up with me. He was Mike.

3. Shawn Hunter: I wanted to be him -- in a bad way. Shawn, like Zack Morris, was the epitome of cool: He oozed with charm, was great with the girls and was great with the quips. He carried himself in a victorious fashion most of the time. But he was sensitive, too. Rider Strong was great with the character every step of the way.

4. Dr. Perry Cox, Scrubs: This guy can do it all. He's got all the tools in his repertoire. He can dance, sing, yell, tell stories, make jokes and rant. Boy, can this man rant. He's a strong, strong character, but very, very much human. He's got the weight of the world on his shoulders, at times, and he rarely rattles. But when he's hit, it's hard. John C. McGinley is amazing. Bill Lawrence couldn't have cast a better actor for that character.

5. Jesse Katsopolis, Full House: I love my niece and nephew more than anything, and I hope I'm half the uncle -- and, eventually, no matter what the odds say, father -- Jesse was. He had everything under control. He was strict and soft, and he always had the respect of the kids. He was a sensitive dude and very masculine. And what a head of hair.

6. Kramer, Seinfeld: Michael Richards is a genius. While Seinfeld's writing staff was top-notch, Richards made Kramer. Kramer was smarter than everyone else, and he knew it. It showed.

Kramer: What, she's been away?
    Jerry: She's been in Mexico for six weeks.
    Kramer: No, I really think you're wrong. We just went to the fireworks the other day.
    Jerry: That was July 4th.

I've got more, but I've got to finish some stuff.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't forget his pee song...
    "Hey there Mr. Wiener, whaddya know? Do you have to tinkle tinkle? Yes I think so!"

7. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Lou, Garrity, Probie - New York's bravest are TV's hilariousest.
    Frank Pembleton - Maybe best dramatic character ever on TV. In my not so humble opinion.
    Lenny Briscoe - Law & Order hasn't been the same since he left. "Johnson's the 43rd cabbie killed in the last 12 months. These guys have shorter life spans than fruit flies."
    Creed Bratton - Most bizarre character on TV. Is kind of playing himself.
    Kevin Malone - "I like pretzels, but I also really like chips."
    John "Sawyer" Ford - "So, a tribe of evil natives planted a ringer in the camp to kidnap a pregnant girl and a reject from VH-1 has-beens. Yeah, fiendishly clever."
    Sheman Potter - I'll agree with someone's assessment above. Nobody you'd rather have as a boss on a bad day.
    Leo McGarry - My favorite of a lot of beloved West Wing characters. Kind of a modern day Sheman Potter.
    Greg House -

Frank Costanza - (Mr. Steinbrenner tells the Costanza's George is dead) "WHY THE HELL DID YOU TRADE JAY BUHNER!? HE HAD AN ARM LIKE A ROCKET! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE DOIN'!"-Frank

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I love some of the ones I've seen here (Murdock, Dr. Geiger, Charles Ingalls, Monty Burns, Bill McNeal, Alex Keaton, Jim Ignitowski), and to be historically honest, I'd have to add some who probably don't hold up well with me out of high school (Sam Miceli, Jo Polnecek, Barbara Cooper, Ellen - Alex's girlfriend etc.), and I'll try to think of more soon. The one at the top of my list, who I'm stunned hasn't come up yet is David Addison. Others that come to mind - Victor Sifuentes, Coach, McMurtry, Sporty James, Benson's character on Sportsnight (i forget).

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent call on David Addison. I completely forgot how much I enjoyed that show.

Jed Bartlett was the character that first popped to mind when I read this, shortly followed by Hawkeye. Leo McGarry was also a wonderful character, but most of the cast on West Wing had its moments.

Somebody brought up Star Trek before. Jean-Luc Picard is a favorite of mine, as is Ben Sisko on Deep Space Nine. Well-acted, smart characters. Both were damaged characters in their own way, which helped make them interesting.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ooooh! David Addison! GREAT CALL! Dude was pimp-smooth.
    I still quote him ("Do bears bear? Do bees bee?") For that matter, I still quote Hawkeye, too . (When the topic of kids comes up, I use his "I'm still my only child" line.")

BTW, we all watch faaaaar too much TV.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Nonsense.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Just to fill in a few holes:

Admiral William "Bill" Adama, Battlestar Galactica -- I would probably have gone with Lee Adama, but he hasn't been nearly as interesting since he stopped flying and starting politicking. Starbuck too would have been a good choice, but she goes through a few too many mood swings for my tastes. It really gets ridiculous at times. And of course, Saul Tigh would also be a fine choice.

Lloyd, Entourage -- I either can't read, or you should all be embarrassed. While it's true Ari steals all the scenes he's in, Lloyd steals even when Ari is in them.

Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost -- Come on. Someone picked Locke before Hurley? Really? Hurley is far and away my favorite. Locke is a headache. Jack is annoying. Kate can be annoying. Ben will always be the enemy. Sayid, Charlie, Desmond and Sawyer could also have made this list.

Janitor, Scrubs -- His act gets a little tired at times, but he's had a lot of great moments.

Hayden Fox, Coach -- Loved the show. Always catch the reruns, and half the time I can even stomach the ones when he was in the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted