1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite television characters...and why!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 26, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

1) Barney Fife
    2) George Costanza
    3) Dr. Johnny Fever
    4) Dwight Schrute
    5) Dr. Cox

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ. he looks like a young man in that pic.

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

No love for Dennis Franz on NYPD Blue?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Montgomery Burns -- One of the best bad guys ever. Someone evil enough, but not physically able to, steal candy from a baby.
    Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure -- Two personal favorites from The Simpsons. Phil Hartman's best characters.
    Lenny Briscoe -- One of the best TV cops ever. Been down life's toughest roads and has the scars and cynicism to prove it. A big reason Law & Order is heading into its 19th season next year.

5. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Fox Mulder. Smart, witty and vulnerable.
    Dana Whitaker. As Joan Cusack said of Holly Hunter in Broadcast News, every way but socially, she's my idol.
    Lots and lots of West Wing characters.

6. part-timer

part-timer Member

Great topic for a holiday. I'll play:

Ken Reeves: Phil Jackson of the late 1970s, bringing together teams of diverse cultures and talents (Abner Goldstein, anyone?) and winning amid controversy and guys lying dead in liquor stores

Lorelai Gilmore: First-ballot MILF hall of famer with a great sense of taste and music.

Louie DePalma: DeVito has never been better. Mean, obnoxious, you name it, but was still a momma's boy at heart.

Alex P. Keaton: The truest definition of Reagan youth of the 1980s. I wonder what he would be like today?

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll add to this later - maybe change some selections - but here's a partial list:

Hank Moody (Californication) - The role Duchovny was born to play. He nails the complexities of this character perfectly.
    Dexter Morgan (Dexter) - The serial killer you love to root for
    Vic Mackey (The Shield) - A bad-ass dirty cop with a sympathetic side. You gotta love it.
    BJ Honicutt (MASH) - A sense of humor and a dedicated family man
    Norm Peterson (Cheers) - Always makes you laugh
    Sophia Petrillo (Golden Girls) - Gotta agree with the poster who said that she always had the best lines on the show
    Judge Harry Morgan Stone (Night Court) - Comedic whit and a heart of gold
    Alex Keaton (Family Ties) - Hated his politics, enjoyed the character.
    Lenny Briscoe (L&O) - Hardened cop, takes life's curveballs, and always there with the perfect wisecrack.
    Pinky (Pinky & the Brain) - There's a reason his name comes first. It's because he's the funnier of the two

8. pa writer

pa writer Member

This might be a bit obscure, but for all the NewsRadio fans out there:

Bill McNeal, as played by Phil Hartman. Comic genius.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Add Eric Matthews and Mr. George Feeny to my list.

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Somewhere, Mike311GD smiles.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thought about him when I threw Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure out there, but decided to go with the Simpsons characters. That show (Newsradio) just wasn't the same after he died.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

E-Street Joe -- Small correction. 'twas Harry STONE on Night Court.

Have to agree with most already here, but a few additions:

Dan Fielding (Night Court) -- Lecherous, funny, but at the bottom of it, a good guy.

Greg House (House) -- The misanthrope you just can't hate. Also, some of the most hilarious and inappropriate one-liners in TV history.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs (NCIS) -- A hardass, but one with a ton of layers. Harmon nails this role. (Honorable mention to show's Abby Sciuto, the goth scientist with heart of gold)

Sean Garrity (Rescue Me) -- Fireman savant. Dumb, but not to the point of annoyance. Along with Lou, brings the funny to what could be a dark, DARK show.

Draft saved Draft deleted