1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite television characters...and why!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 26, 2008.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

From the old-timer of our board:

*Jim Ignatowski of Taxi: Christopher Lloyd's portrayal of a drug-infested flower child was perfect.
    *Norm Peterson of Cheers: You had to laugh whenver the man talked.
    *Radar O'Reilly of MASH: He could make you laugh or cry.
    *Martin Crane of Frasier: With Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pearce around, it was the old man who got the laughs, as far as I'm concerned.

(I'll try to think of some more.)

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Tony Soprano, The Sopranos - one of the most complex and interesting character studies in television history.

Jack Bauer, 24 - he kicks ass, takes no prisoners

Tobias Funke, Arrested Development - funniest character in TV history IMO

Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm - deliciously awkward

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons - in his prime, he was money. hilarious, timeless character.

George Costanza, Seinfeld - really the character that carried seinfeld and basically larry david in curb

Stewie Griffen, Family Guy - talking (gay?) baby who tries to kill his mother and take over the world. pretty perfect. stewie and brian are a perfect team.

Ari Gold, Entourage - He's the X-Factor on that program...without him, it's not nearly as enjoyable. Gold steals almost every single scene he's in.

Lois, Malcolm in the Middle - Jane Kaczmarek was incredibly realistic and stern yet loving as the mother in that show, while Brian Cranston was also top-notch as Hal. They carried the show, even when there wasn't great material to work with.

Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls - The other ladies in this show had their moments, but Sophia was one of the most consistantly funniest and outrageous TV characters of the 1980s

Edith Bunker, All in the Family - Most would put Archie down here, but Edith is equally as deserving...she was just an all-time character with perfect delivery. Her loyalty, innocence, and sweetness make her perhaps the most likeable in television history.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Chris Stevens, Northern Exposure - Could quote obscure poets, discuss quantum physics and discuss the major religions. Plus, he hunted and fished. If I couldn't be him, I'd buy his beers at The Brick and give him a stack of quarters to use on the jukebox.

Ed, Ed - Lawyer who owns a bowling alley, has a hilarious best friend and winds up with Julie Bowen for a wife.

Frasier Crane, Frasier - With Niles and Martin already getting mentioned, I have to mention Frasier as well. When he gets indigent about something or angry, it always makes me laugh.

Rachel, Friends - Hubba, hubba. Especially during the first couple of seasons when she was still eating.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

an ommission by dear friend casty, for we oldies but goodies:

lou grant, mtm show.

yes?

for this tv junkie, way too many to mention. but almost every regular from "west wing" and "sopranos" would surely make the cut.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Several of mine have been mentioned, but I'll add:

Dr. Johnny Fever
    Art Carlson
    Ernie Pantuzzo
    Woody
    Sonny Crockett
    Steve McGarrett
    Ted Baxter
    Josh Lyman

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Also ...

Barney, HIMYM
    Thomas Magnum, Magnum PI
    Sam Troy, Rat Patrol

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Among characters who appeared occasionally:

Bucky the engineer, WKRP
    Bruno Binder, Barney Miller
    John Allan Hill, Cheers

and of course....

Colonel Flagg, MASH

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

In no particular order...

Brian Griffin. The perfect combination of know-it-all and do-the-right-thing qualities. Plus, he likes martinis and big-breasted women, so even if it's inter-species dating in his case, how can you go wrong there? There's a reason I spent $20 trying to win a stuffed BG at Magic Mountain.

Col. Sherman Potter. I see Hawkeye mentioned here, but who among us wouldn't want him for a boss? Kind-hearted, always looking out for the welfare of his charges and someone you don't mind tossing a few with. You could probably follow Shockey's lead and include Lou Grant here as well, since they were cut from the same cloth.

Jack Bauer. Enough said.

George Costanza. Ditto

President Jed Bartlett. What we wish our president acted like and conducted himself like.

Beavis and Butt-head. A personal guilty pleasure. Some of their escapades have had me laughing so hard, tears are rolling down my face.

Morris Thorpe. The brains behind Carver High's basketball team. Always had something to say, always found a way to get things done: both on and off the court.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Abby Lockhart, ER: I'm surprised Abby is not completely FUBAR, but she's the character I can most empathize with on the show.
    Matt McNamara, Nip/Tuck: Embattled son who found himself in the strangest of strange situations each season.
    Bobby Caffey, Third Watch: The epitome of every macho yet sensitive guy I've ever crossed paths with. Something very endearing about the whole thing.
    Elaine Benes, Seinfeld: A personal id.
    Boyd Pritchett, Boston Common: Very underrated sitcom. From the hills of Appalachia in the big city, and he wasn't any village idiot. Navigated quite well through the characters.
    Jim Halpert, The Office: That smirk and that indifference always get me.

10. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

How in the HELL is some Barney from another show mentioned before the all-time greatest TV character of all-time:
    BARNEY FIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanna go "Pow, pow, pow" on some people. Glad I "nipped it in the bud" with this post.
    Later, I gotta go call Juanita (or as I call her, 'Neet) at the truckstop. Don't tell Thelma Lou.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Barney Rubble's high on my list as well.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted