1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite sports columnist...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

I like Adande

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Had to think about this, since I don't know how many general columnists really do well on all of the sports. My idea is somebody who comes up with good stuff on a variety of sports and you don't read and say.. "this guy doesn't know what he/she is talking about" I think the role of a general columnist is less important and meaningful because you have columnists who specialize in one sport and it is harder for a general columnist to come up with something better.

My choice is Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe. He's more likely than most to come up with something you couldn't predict from him, which is a big plus. There always seems to be a lot of meat in his columns.

Norman Chad is probably my favorite person to read in newspapers, but I can't count him as a main columnist because he is still pretty much a TV columnist even though he does kind of branch out.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Mizzou voted for Simers in the second post. ... I vote for Simers, as well.

4. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Dick Young

Yup, very old school I am, but Dick Young was IT when I used to deliver the NY Daily News in the morn (me, wake 5:30am and go through the count..). I had a 100 home paper route in the early 70's and Dick's "Clubhouse Confidential" was the law. He got crazy in his later years at the NY Post.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've never really been a Marriotti fan, especially on Around the Horn. However, the fact that he pisses Hawk Harrelson off raises him up a little bit on my list.

As for Albom, the question wasn't "Best Fiction Writer"

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

hmm, no one's mentioned Loopy either..

7. John Canzano -- Oregonian, mostly because he's killed a lot of sacred cows in Oregon and ticked off UO, OSU, and Trailblazer fans, who have been coddled for far too long in the "nice Northwest."

8. Bernie Linciome was a must read for me when he was at the Chicago Tribune. Wish he was still there.

9. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Norman Chad. Simers a close second.

Used to be Selena Roberts, but now she's hidden behind the times select, so I haven't read her in ages.

What do people love about posnaski?

Write in vote: Jere Longman. Not a columnist, but damn, he should be.
    Write in II: TK in his prime - the 1990s. he's just a shell now.

10. Oscar_Madisoy

Oscar_Madisoy Member

Another vote for Poz

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll vote for Lopresti, a good writer and even better guy. And he's amazing on deadline, no small gift.

12. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Simmons

Draft saved Draft deleted