1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Song By Decade (or Join the Zeppelin Lovefest it's morphing into)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ok, this one should make you think a while or at least do a little research. If you answer right away, feel free, but that means you're really real sure of yourself or you're shooting from the hip. The objective is to pick your favorite song from each decade. I'll start with the 50s (because I'm old) but start anywhere you feel comfortable:

1950s --- 'At the Hop', Danny and the Jrs. A great rock and roll song that the Ramones should have covered at some point.

1960s --- 'Gimme Shelter', The Rolling Stones. Maybe my favorite song of all time. Chilling, energetic and a rocking groove all at the same time. Honorable mention to "The Weight" from The Band. Really wished 'Gimme Shelter' had been released in 1970 instead of 12/5/69, because I would have slotted that for the 70s and Fanny for the 60s.

1970s --- It's funny-I grew up in my teenage years in this decade, at least until I was seventeen, and this is the hardest one to figure out. Aerosmith, Zep, the Stones all lived in this decade, but nothing stands out for me. I'm sure when I see some of your answers, I'll change my choice here. Let's go with "No Quarter' from Zeppelin as an ode to the mary jane days gone past.

1980s --- 'Dreams', BoDeans. An absolutely beautiful tune from a few Wisconsin boys. It has to be good, because it nips out two of my other all time faves, 'Where the Streets Have No Name' by U2 with it's gorgeous intro and coda, and 'Sweet Child of Mine' by GNR that is rock and roll ballad turned rocker's prime example.

1990s --- 'Santa Monica', Everclear. A true foot stomping rocker. If the BoDeans had been 90s, this would have been 2nd, but since it was wasn't, these guys are a runaway winner.

2000s --- 'Beverly Hills', Weezer. OK, this might catch some flack, but I love the crunching guitar and the melody. No apologies. 2nd choice would be 'Girl' from Beck that is impossible not to sing along with and tap your foot as it moves along.

That's what I've got. Have at it.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Re: Your Favorite Song By Decade

After consulting with my iTunes (I can't do just one):

1950s
    "El Paso" -- Marty Robbins
    "La Bamba" -- Ritchie Valens

1960s
    "L'amour est Bleu" -- Paul Mauriat
    "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" -- Crosby, Stills & Nash

1970s
    "Night Moves" -- Bob Seger
    "Time" -- Pink Floyd

1980s
    "Faithfully" -- Journey
    "Send Her My Love" -- Journey

1990s
    "Kiss Me" -- Sixpence None the Richer
    "Losing My Religion" -- R.E.M.

2000s
    "Only Time" -- Enya
    "Runaway Train" -- Soul Asylum

2010s
    "Haven't Met You Yet" -- Michael Buble (it's 2009, close enough)
    "We Are One" -- 12 Stones

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

1950s: Johnny B. Goode / Chuck Berry
    1960s: My Generation / The Who
    1970s: Truckin' / Grateful Dead
    1980s: It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) / REM
    1990s: Alive / Pearl Jam
    2000s: Self Esteem / The Offspring

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to look closely at the CD collection before attempting this one.
    Only one I can do off the top of my head:
    1970s: Thunder Road/Bruce Springsteen

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

1980s: For You (Tracy Chapman) and Don't Let's Start (They Might Be Giants)
    1990s: Jeremy (Pearl Jam) and Ex-Factor (Lauryn Hill)
    2000s: Your Man (Josh Turner) and Smooth (Rob Thomas)
    2010s: Nothing yet. :)

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Smooth was 1999, FYI =)

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hmmm ...

1960s - God Only Knows, Beach Boys
    Honorable mention: And Your Bird Can Sing, The Beatles; Gimmie Shelter, Stones; Bus Stop, The Hollies; Care of Cell 44, The Zombies.

1970s - Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
    HM: Marquee Moon, Television; Heroes, David Bowie; Dancing Queen, ABBA; Surrender, Cheap Trick.

1980s - Sunday Bloody Sunday, U2
    HM: Overkill, Men At Work; Under Pressure, David Bowie and Queen; Panic, The Smiths; Photograph, Def Leppard.

1990s - Buddy Holly, Weezer
    HM: Longview, Green Day; Don't Look Back In Anger, Oasis; 1979, Smashing Pumpkins; Fake Plastic Trees, Radiohead.

2000s - Stan, Eminem
    HM: Seven Nation Army, White Stripes; Everything Hits At Once, Spoon; Siberian Breaks, MGMT; Take Me Out, Franz Ferdinand.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How in the fuck can anyone pick their favorite song from an entire decade? That's like picking my favorite lunch from a decade.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

1950s: Summertime Blues, Eddie Cochran.
    1960s: In My Life, the Beatles.
    1970s: What's on My Mind, Kansas
    1980s: Jessie's Girl, Rick Springfield
    1990s: Bitch, Meredith Brooks (Duh!)
    2000s: Since You Been Gone, Kelly Clarkson
    2010s: Need You Now, Lady Antebellum

10. imjustagirl

Hahahah that's the only one I didn't look up. I just remember listening to it at my first job, which I held from summer '99-fall '04. So I figured I had good odds. Stupid me!

Good! Put in Party in the USA instead!

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

That's 1000 times worse. "Smooth" was actually the most successful single of the 90s and was the last 90s song to hit #1 on the charts. Just droppin some knowledge ;)

12. imjustagirl

I know Smooth isn't an artistically beloved song. But it's one of the few I will stop on EVERY TIME I find it on the radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted