1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Single Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

OK, with the advent of YouTube it's possible to find some of your favorite clips, and I found one from what goes down as my favorite game, any sport, of all time, "The Miracle on Manchester," when the L.A. Kings came back from a 5-0 deficit at the start of the 3rd period against the Edmonton Gretzkys in the Stanley Cup playoffs. My older brother turned the game off after the 2nd period. I was 10 and goddamn furious. We didn't have another TV in the house hooked up to cable so I listened to the 3rd period on the radio. Bob Miller is one of the voice gods of hockey. My older brother didn't start believing until it was 5-4 and only then did he turn the game back on. Such a loser.

I know there are some good SportsJournalists.commers to the north who remember this, too. It'll be the 25th anniversary in April, which is bizarre, because it sort of feels like yesterday. Too bad the Kings ditched those unis. I loved the gold and purple.

This series also produced the Kings' 10-8 win. Just a crazy series, capped by my favorite game of all time (and there have been many for the L.A. native with the Dodgers, Rams, Lakers, USC ... )

So, what is your single favorite game of all time? Don't list 3 or 4, just your favorite.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Even though my team lost it ...

1991 WS, Game 7.

I was 9. I cried -- a lot.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Flyers-Pens game that went into 3 or 4 OTs. The game was still going when I left work that night, and I went out for a beer with folks from work planning on catching the replay at 2 a.m. When I turned the TV on at 2 a.m., first words I heard were "Folks this is live hockey." Absolutely amazing.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's my 2nd favorite baseball game and I'm not a fan of either. I've seen the tape about 50 times. When my buddy and I get together we pop that into the VCR and watch it just because. Pure baseball. Rookie Smoltz v. Grisled Vet Morris.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

1992 NBA Finals Game 1.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, that one went five overtimes. 2000 Eastern Conference semifinals, Game 5.

I remember that I started watching it at 7-ish, had to get a project done for school, but I turned it back on at midnight and vowed not to go to sleep until it was over. Stayed up for 2.5 hours, even after that.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dammit! I always get the number of overtimes wrong. I watched it in its entirely the next day on ESPN Classic. An "Instant Classic" indeed.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Astros' Game 6 against the Mets in the 1986 NLCS. My mom pulled me out of school because she had tickets to the game. Ab-so-lute-ly incredible. Great pitching through most of the game, nail-biting setups, a Billy Hatcher home run to re-tie the game in the 13th (or 14th inning, I forget). And while it ended in heartache for me, it was still an unforgettable game.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

1993 Sugar Bowl. Pure humiliation.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Game 4, 1988 NLCS, Dodgers vs. Mets.

Scioscia homers in 9th to tie the game, Gibson homers in extra innings. Hershiser comes in out of the bullpen for the save.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just remember accidently waking up my future wife as I loudly tried not to yell at the TV when the Flyers were given a penalty shot in the one of the overtimes.

That and fighting the urge to call my best friend, a Flyers fan, because I thought it was too late. I found out the next day he was up and decided not to call me for the same reason.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm with Songbird - the Miracle on Manchester.

Thanks for posting that. It was really fun to see that again.

Draft saved Draft deleted