1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite SI story ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 14, 2010.

1. I started getting SI in 1990, and this was the first time I ever felt compelled to keep an issue because of a story I read. It's the Mike Coolbaugh piece from Scott Price:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1108023/index.htm

2. Baba_Booey

Baba_Booey Member

Rick Reilly on Ron Powlus:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1008784/index.htm

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

The book is excellent. Price does outstanding work.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

He Thrives On Anger by Michael Bamberger

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1008083/index.htm

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This is me. But as a niche thing, there were a couple of track and field covers, when SI really cared about such things, including Ryun-Liquori in Philadelphia, that I thought were terrific simply from a personal interest standpoint.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Express,

From memory: "Don't quit, dammit." A great cover.

YHS, etc

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I had this on the wall of my bedroom at my parents' cottage in northern Wisconsin (since torn down) for years:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Darryl Stingley's first person account, 1983.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what was a pretty good story - the one where Cindy Garvey decided to ruin Steve Garvey's wholesome image.

10. AD

AD Active Member

i think that was inside sports, no?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think you are correct now that I look back.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I remember reading the Kram article on the Frazier-Ali fight my freshman year in college and thinking I would have a better chance of sleeping with Cheryl Tiegs than writing something that good.

But Michael MacCambridge in his book on SI exposed Kram as a fabalist. It seems that no one has been able to confirm the third paragraph of the story where Frazier is said to be recovering and describes Ali as a great champion. Kram said he got it second hand. Maybe. But given Kram's other ethical problems I think that story is probably to good to be entirely true.

As for the best let me add Rick Reilly's piece on Jim Murray.

Draft saved Draft deleted