1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite NFL games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 11, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've never said otherwise. My issue was with the whiners who said it was fixed.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Y'all should be typing in green font.

3. The Miami Montana-to-Taylor one.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

For regular-season games, I'll never forget that one Kansas City at Cleveland barnburner in 2001. Trent Green nearly gets sacked on final play, but flips the ball to lineman John Tait, who rumbles to the 30-yard line. Game over? No, some doofus Browns player threw his helmet after thinking he sacked Green. The look on his face when he turned around and saw the play still going on was priceless.

Morten Andersen then kicked a field goal on an untimed down to give Kansas City a 41-39 win.

Wild, wild game.

Other favorites:

Super Bowl XXIII. Montana to Taylor. Greatness at its best.
    1993 AFC wild card, Kansas City 27, Pittsburgh 24, OT Old-man Montana still had his magic.
    The Jets furious comeback on MNF If I recall, it was against Miami, no? Holy krap, what a game.
    Frank Reich's moment of glory I was in high school, but I'll never forget my jaw dropping with each Buffalo touchdown against Houston

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll never forget that one, either ... for NOT seeing it. After the Oilers returned the fumble for a TD early in the third quarter to go up 35-3, I said screw it and went to get something to eat. For some reason, it took about an hour to get there and back. I think my mom had to get something from the store. So I get back to the house and jokingly ask my dad, "What's the score? 55-3?"
    He says no, it's 35-31 and the Bills are driving. Got home in time to see the go-ahead score, the Oilers' tying drive, and the overtime. It was another 10 or 15 years before I saw that thing beginning to end.
    After that, I sympathized with my dad. Nearly 20 years later and he was still bitter about missing the Immaculate Reception because my mom made him go Christmas shopping.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

the ones i've bet on and won.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was devastating to me, a 14-year-old Bengals fanboi, sitting a few rows from the field in the end zone -- the same end zone all the TDs were scored in, including Montana-to-Taylor. So many emotional swings. Thought Cinci was fucked when Krumrie broke his leg (ugh), thought Cinci could win again when Jennings took the kickoff in for a TD, then knew the game was lost when Montana took over with two minutes left.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember the Reich-Oilers-Bills game because my dad and I were watching the game and he became so pissed that the Bills were playing so poorly that we switched to a college basketball game. He was pissed because he wanted to watch a good football game.

I think we watched the entire basketball game and just switch back to football game to see the final field goal being lined up.

This was obviously before there was a sports ticker.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My favorite games are the ones, doesn't matter whether its been high school, small or big college or pros, that are so good you don't even care who wins. You are just grateful to have seen it. The Astros-Phillies NLCS in 1980, a four-OT Stanley Cup playoff game, Suns-Celtics '76 NBA final, The Flutie throw against Miami, Texas-USC, Ohio State-Miami in the BCS championship.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ok, my list is obviously tainted with recent fanboi looser-dom.

5.) Patriots vs. Bills, November 29th, 1998. This game I like to call the "Oh shit, what a finish" contest. The Pats are down four with one minute left, Bledsoe drives them down the field. The Pats appear to have blown a fourth-down conversion on an incomplete pass to Shawn Jefferson. Instead, the refs rule a phantom pass interference and give New England new life. Bledsoe finds Ben Coates in the end zone. I nearly shit my pants.

4.) Patriots vs. Steelers, 1996 Playoffs. I can still pinpoint the exact moment I became a Pats fan. Watching this game, Drew Bledsoe hits Terry Glenn with a freaking 50-yard bomb in the fog on one of the first plays of the game. I've been hooked ever since.

3.) Super Bowl XXXIV: Titans vs. Rams-> Just a remarkable finish. Was rooting hard for the Titans because I hated the Rams but, honestly, this was just a tremendous game all around and afterwards I couldn't stop watching the repeats on ESPN.

2.) The Tuck Rule Game: Raiders vs. Patriots, 2002. It was a fumble. Get over it.

1.) Super Bowl XXXVI: Rams vs. Patriots-> Even though I was (and am) a diehard Pats fan, I never expected this. Not in a million years would I have legitimately believed the Patriots could do this. I was just happy they had gotten this far. But, honestly, from the introduction as a team to the stirring rendition of "Freedom" by Paul McCarthney, I knew there was something different about this game.

I can remember everything about this game down to the final detail. When the Pats went up big early, my heart started racing. I was at home watching this with my brother and some of his friends and the house erupted whenever they scored. When the Rams pulled back into it, the place was dead silent.

On Madden's famous "They should play for OT" call, I started screaming at the television and the final drive still, to this day, gives me goosebumps. I remember watching Vinatieri line up for the game-winning kick and not believing what I was watching. When it sailed through I ran out of my room (by this point I was too nervous to watch it with anyone in my house), bolted through the door and my brother and I collided in celebration on the floor in one of the gayest moments of my life. My whole house was going fucking crazy.

I ran outside and started screaming like a little bitch (Keep in mind I was only 17 at this point so I was a looser) and tons of people were doing it with me. It was surreal.

To this day I can't listen to Gil Santos' call of the kick without wanting to cry like a little girl who just watched her puppy run away.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

That's No. 1 for me. Drove two days to get to Chicago in time to watch the game with my dad, brother and nephew. I did snow angels on the sidewalk after the game, even though I was wearing shorts and a sleeveless Bears shirt. :D

My favorite game recently not involving the Bears was the Packers-Giants NFC title game last year. In a BWW with multiple obnoxious Packers fans, I was happy to root (in my own obnoxious way :D) for the Giants all night, and the looks on a few faces when Favre threw the INT in OT and Tynes subsequently made that kick were priceless.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1 .Super Bowl XXXII. A top-five all-time Super Bowl game.

2. AFC Championship of the 1987 season, "The Drive."

3. AFC Championship of the 1988 season, "The Fumble."

4. AFC Championship of the 1998 season. Broncos down 10-0 at home. Elway's last game in Denver.

5. AFC Championship of the 1977 season. Close all the way. Broncos' first of six AFC titles, beating the hated Raiders.

Draft saved Draft deleted