1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite NFL games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 11, 2009.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I cried the first time Michael Jordan retired. I was seven though.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

oop - at least you admitted it was poorly officiated.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm not much of an NFL fan, but the Monday Night Football game after Favre's dad died was incredible. Just so inspired.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

What she said...

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, but it seems for every "miracle" play that helps a team, they also end up on the receiving end at least once. Raiders (Holy Roller, Sea of Hands and Immaculate Reception, Brady's Fumble) Vikings (Rashad's catch from Kramer to make the playoffs and the Hail Mary and the Cardinal's knocking them out a couple years ago). The Cowboys (Hail Mary and The Catch, the Ice Bowl); The Oilers/Titans (The Bills comeback and the Music City Miracle)
    And then there are the Browns (Rashad's catch, the Mike Davis pick of Sipe in 1980, the Drive, the Fumble, and nothing to balance that out. They are cursed).

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Winner. :-*

7. If we're counting ones I was at, the Cinci-SF Super Bowl is at the top of the list.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Music City Miracle... I was watching it in London... barhopping at several Pubs before getting home in time for the end...

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Super Bowl X

Non-Steeler, it would be Eli taking down the Patriots.

10. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Which one?

I'll never forget Browns-Jets double-OT in the 86 playoffs. Kosar threw for 489 yards and led a comeback from down 20-10 with 4:00 left in regulation. It would be legendary if not for what happened a week later, when Schottenheimer invented the prevent defense.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Gruden showing that Oakland was not smart enough to change up the playbook was fascinating to watch.

12. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

1978: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Dallas (???)

Can't remember the opponent for sure but the game sticks in my memory as I witnessed the greatest individual defensive performance I've seen in 47 years of watching NFL football.

Bill Bergey dominated the game to the extent that Summerall and Brookshier talked about little else except his play. In a time before tackles were officially tabulated for widespread publication, Bergey's total was in the high 20's and those were 'initial tackles' not 'assists'. I believe Bookshier said 28 on the air. He shut down between tackle runs, tosses and sweeps on both sides of the field and made down field tackles on passing plays outside his coverage and had at least one sack and either a fumble recovery or int.

I'm not an Eagles fan but having seen Bergey play probably 25 times or so I would rate him among the best ever at his position and if not for his knee injury in 1979, a probable Hall of Famer. I never hear his name mentioned among the linebacking greats but for one day in 1978 he was the best, ever. A game to remember even if the opponent escapes me.

Draft saved Draft deleted