1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite movie throwaway lines/scenes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 28, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Clerks:

"Are there any balls down there?"

"About the biggest pair you ever seen, dingleberry!"

Grosse Pointe Blank:

When Marcella is trying to convince Martin to go to his high school reunion.

He asks her if she went to hers, and she said, "Yes, I did. It was just as if everyone had swelled."

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A favorite from Barfly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rgKAOdPx58

Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them.....You hate them?
    Chinaski: “No, but I seem to feel better when they’re not around.”

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a scene from "Young Guns II," which is another movie chock full of great quotes. They're trying to get the old grizzled sheriff to chase down Billy the Kid, and he isn't having any of it: "I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brushfire. I ain't touchin' this one."

Another one from Young Guns II, as the gang is riding through a guano mining camp.
    Dave Rudabaugh: I've been to gold towns, silver towns ... hell, I've even been to turquoise towns. But I have never been to a bat shit town. Can't wait to see the women!"

And one more.
    Billy the Kid: You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, 'Hey, the world's coming to an end!' and the first one says, 'Well, I best go to the mission and pray. And the second one says, 'Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores.' And the third one says 'Well, I'm gonna finish the game.' I shall finish the game, Doc.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A couple more:

"Yeah, listen, we'd love to stand around and chat, but we've gotta... sit down in the lobby and wait for the limo."

"Did you ever run into a musical group out of Kansas City that call themselves “Four Jacks and a Jill”? They’ve been at a Ramada Inn there for about 18 months."

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's absurd.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When the band is having trouble with its hotel reservation, Ian Faith tells the hotel manager that the desk clerk - Bentley from the Jeffersons- is a "twisted old fruit." The clerk's reply - in that great British accent - always gets me: "I'm only as God made me, sir.'

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

It's a Wonderful Life: "Boys and girls and music. Why do they need gin?"

Arsenic and Old Lace: "Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."

Ferris Bueller: Rooney: "He jeopardizes my ability to effectively govern this student body." Grace: "Well, makes you look like an ass is what he does, Ed."

And the famous scene when Rooney walks up to the TV in the pizza place that has the Cubs game on.
    Rooney: "What's the score?" Pizza worker: "0-0." Rooney: "Who's winning?" Pizza worker: "The Bears."

Silver Linings Playbook: "Since when do cops have (business) cards?"

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ty Webb: What's wrong with lumber? I own two lumberyards.
    Danny Noonan: I notice you don't spend too much time there.
    Ty Webb: I'm not quite sure where they are.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

From Moneyball when the scouts are sizing up the organization's prospects.
    They bring up one player and a scout says he's not competitive. Another scout asks, why do you think he's not competitive?
    First scout: "Because he's got an ugly girlfriend."

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Revenge of the Nerds II:
    'Comprende, dickhead?'

11. Midnight Run had a ton:

Jack Walsh: I know my rights. You owe me phone calls.
    Alonzo Mosely: What should be of paramount importance to you right now is not the phone calls, it's the fact that you're gonna spend ten years for impersonating a federal agent.
    Jack Walsh: 10 years for impersonating a fed, uh?
    Alonzo Mosely: 10 years.
    Jack Walsh: How comes no one's after you?
    -----

Jimmy Serrano: Is this moron number one? Put moron number two on the phone.

-----
    [after Agent Moseley steals his cigarettes - again]
    Marvin Dorfler: Why don't you quit? It'd be cheaper for both of us.

----

Alonzo Mosely: Is this gonna upset me?
    FBI Agent Tuttle: I think it's safe to say that.

------

Jonathan Mardukas: Jahé, everybody, jahé
    Jack Walsh: What's that?
    Jonathan Mardukas: It means 'hello'. I can say 'hello' in a lot of different languages. Not yours, but a lot of them.

-----

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From Superman II, after Non gets thrown into the Coke sign, Lex Luthor looks at a stopwatch and says, "I never thought this thing would go the distance."

In Cinderella Man, when Braddock knocks down Griffen, Joe Gould says,"where the hell have you been, Jimmy Braddock?"

Draft saved Draft deleted