1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite movie throwaway lines/scenes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 28, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First Blood: Teasle: "Are you telling me that 200 of our men against your boy is a no-win situation for us?
    Trautman: You send that many, don't forget one thing.
    Teasle: What?
    Trautman: A good supply of body bags.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

No idea what constitutes a throwaway line.

From the kids' division, "The Princess and the Frog":

Hush up and look at the gumbo!

We're from a place far, far away.
    Y'all from Shreveport?

(mostly funny to me because my parents are from that area.)

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Quite literally a "throw away," a deleted scene from "High Fidelity" in which Rob goes to buy records from a personal collection. It's an amazing collection of singles which the wife wants to sell for $50. To spite her collector husband, who's cheating on her with a 19yo.

So many great reactions by Cusack.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Also from Die Hard, when the FBI guys introduce themselves to the police chief:
    "Special Agent Johnson."
    "Special Agent Johnson. No relation."

From Monsters University, when the OK frat goes to Monsters Inc. for a pep talk and the security guards find them, Art (voiced by Charlie Day) shouts, "I can't go back to jail!" Kills me and my 2-year-old every time.

No, Mark Wahlberg has no acting chops. He's atrocious. And it takes no talent to sing badly. He was a rap "star," not a singer. I've never seen any evidence that he's a fairly good singer, nor actor for that matter. This scene tells you all you need to know about Wahlberg's acting "chops."

I feel like whenever someone talks about Mark Wahlberg's acting skills, they always bring up Boogie Nights as proof he can act and I'm always mystified. He was the worst part of that movie. The guy knows how to lift weights and get jacked, but that's about it. Donnie Wahlberg is a far superior actor than his brother, but gets far less credit because well, he doesn't look like Marky Mark.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Well, I disagree.
    Our Gang's Alfalfa?
    Famous for singing off-key.
    Any bad singer can do it, but not all can make it funny.
    There is a quick take during the Alfred Molina scene ... something every guy who has ever found himself in a bad spot with trouble people is thinking.
    What The FUCK Am I Doing Here With These People Right Now?
    Wahlberg's befuddled expression conveys that perfectly.

6. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

"Hey, a dictionary! I'm going to look up blow jobs!"

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Wahlberg can get the lead in Boogie Nights, he can act.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Where the white women at?

9. Taken "I told you I'd find you."

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

SUPERMAN
    [Miss Teschmacher is posing as the victim of a car wreck]
    Sergeant Hayley: She's having trouble breathing sir. What do you think?
    Major: Well, I suggest a vigorous chest massage, and if that doesn't work, uh, mouth-to-mouth.
    Sergeant Hayley: [enthusiastically] Yes, sir!
    [bends to the task]
    Major: [the Major pulls him to his feet] Sergeant, I won't have one of my men doing anything I wouldn't be prepared to do myself.
    Sergeant Hayley: [disappointed] Yeah, but, sir!
    Major: Get an ambulance. All right, men. Gather around. About face!

HALLOWEEN
    Laurie: He was watching me.
    Annie Brackett: Mr. Riddle was watching you? Laurie, Mr. Riddle is eighty-seven!
    Laurie: He can still watch.
    Annie Brackett: That's probably all he can do!

DC Cab
    Dell: Why are women are so uptight? They've got half the money and all the pussy.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Agents Johnson had a ton of nice, subtle moments in that movie. My favorite was when they're riding in on the chopper to storm the rooftop.

White Agent Johnson: Whooooo-eeee! It's just like fuckin' Saigon, isn't it?
    Black Agent Johnson (stone-faced and annoyed, and roughly the same age as White Johnson): I was in junior high, asshole.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A few more:

Rocky III: In the private fight at the end, when Apollo puts up his hand and pretends to ring the bell. "Ding, Ding."

Another one from A League of their Own: when the cow moos and the scout tells him to to shut up.

In Big, when josh and his friend go to cash his first pay check and tells the clerk he wants three dimes, a hundred dollar bill and 80-something singles.

Draft saved Draft deleted