1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite movie throwaway lines/scenes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Eveyryone has their favorite movies, scenes and lines, but what are some of your favorite lines and scenes that aren't very important, but you love anyways. Here are a few of mine

Field of Dreams: After reading Doc Graham's obit, Terrence tells the lady that she's a very good writer and she pats him on the arm and says, "So are you."

Rocky IV: After the robot brings Paulie his drink and says goodbye, Paulie raises his glass and says "See ya."

Rocky II: When Rocky starts sprinting away from the kids, this one kid takes off after him and stays with him for a couple of seconds.

My Cousin Vinny: When Vinny accidentally knocks over the judge's chess set.

Bull Durham: When Nuke introduces Annie to his dad, and his dad mentions how she was a nice Christian woman, she says "Praise the Lord".

Goonies: a dated joke, but when Chunk asks if 1632 is a year, and Mouth responds that it's his top score in Pole Position.

There's others, but this is off the top of my head.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

In Star Wars when Luke and Han are rescuing Leia and Han is on the communicator with the other guards - "We just had a weapons malfunction but it's fine now. Everything's fine. We're fine now. . . .How are you?"

In the original Fever Pitch, after Michael Thomas scores, Paul asks how much time is left and then says "Now watch, they'll go right down to the other end and score, see if they don't."

In Kicking and Screaming (the Noah Baumbauch 1995 version, not the one about soccer) Grover is in some freshman's dorm room and on the phone with his roommate when the freshman takes off her shirt leading to "I've gotta go, I have to sleep with a freshman." "Yeah, me too."

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In Rocky III: During the second fight with Clubber, Rocky is getting his pep talk from Duke between rounds and is incredibly psyched up. Paulie is holding the spit bucket, but Rocky misses and spits all over Paulie's shirt. Paulie looks pissed, but Rocky is so focused on the fight he never even ackowledges it.

Rocky I: As Rocky and Mick are walking to the ring for the Apollo fight, Mickey asks about Rocky's robe with an ad for the meat packing plant on the back. Rocky explains that it was a deal Paulie worked out, where Paulie got $1,500 and Rocky got to keep the robe. Mickey's response is a sarcastic, "Shrreeewwwd."

Rocky I: So many great lines from this movie. When Rocky is picking up Adrian for their first date, Adrian notes that it's Thanksgiving and the ice rink is probably closed. Rocky's response is, "To everybody else it's Thanksgiving, but to me it's just Thursday."
    When I was young, single and living 250 miles from my nearest relative, that kind of summed up the holiday for me. It's always stuck with me.

Naked Gun: The refrigerator scene, where Jane is going through Drebin's leftovers and finding all of these moldy and nasty food items. The last is some Chinese from a place that closed down two years prior. Drebin opens it, sniffs it, and faints, all while Jane is still talking and oblivious to it.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There are about a trillion great throwaway lines in Casablanca.

"Rick, you despise me, don't you?"
    "Well, if I gave you any thought I probably would."

"Yvonne, I love you. But he pays me."

"Perhaps if you told him I ran the second largest banking house in Amsterdam."
    "Second largest? That wouldn't impress Rick. The leading banker in Amsterdam is now the pastry chef in our kitchen."
    "We have something to look forward to."

"I remember every detail. The Germans wore gray. You wore blue."

"If it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?"
    "My watch stopped."

"How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Someday they may be scarce."

"I'm just a poor corrupt official."

"As the leader of all illegal activities in Casablanca, I am naturally an influential and respected man."

"Ricky, I'm going to miss you. Apparently, you're the only man in Casablanca with less scruples than I."

"I have already given him the best, knowing he is German and would take it anyway."

"We'll be there at six."
    "I'll be there at 10."

"For friends of Rick's there is a small discount. Did I say 700 francs? You can have it for 200."

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Great idea for a topic, Baron, thanks.

Real quick-take efforts:

Rocky II: Duke to Apollo, who is adamant about wanting the rematch -- "He's all wrong for us, baby. I saw you beat that man, like I never seen no man get beat before... and the man kept coming AFTER you! We don't need that kinda man in our lives."

Jaws: When Brody is about to get on the Orca as his wife follows to send him off and Quint, noticing Brody's boots, quips, "see ya brought your rubbers!"

Caddyshack: When Czervik hits a fairway shot, he yells, "Fore!" The shot hits the judge right in the plums and Czervik quips, "I shoulda yelled two!"

Animal House: During Stratton's "courtroom" speech, he states, "...and took a few liberties with our female party guests," he looks at Wormer and winks, causing Wormer about to come out of his chair at him.

The Natural: When a teammate begs Hobbs to throw him a pitch while he's leaving the field after BP. Hobbs fires the pitch, Mercy looks on, the pitch overmatches the batter and becomes lodged in the netting of the cage, tearing almost all the way through it from the speed, the batter looks at the net, then his teammate standing next to him by the cage, both turn to Hobbs, looks of astonishment on their faces, the Red says to Pops in the dugout, "did you see THAT?" and finally, cut back to where Mercy was sitting in the stands...only he's already gone, off to find the cartoon he drew years ago of Hobbs, then a fireballing southpaw, striking out The Whammer during a train stop.

Rocky III: While Rocky, Mickey, Paulie and Al stand in the ring before the exhibition with Thunderlips, his entrance music cues and Thunberlips (Hogan) begins to make his way to the ring. Paulie says, "why they carrying him?" Right on cue, Mick turns and faces all of them and spits out, "he's walkin'!"

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The best line(s) in Rocky:

"Ain't gonna be no rematch."
    "Don't want one."

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just-fired Brad Hamilton:

"I hope you had a hell of a piss, Arnold!"

I always liked the Rocky III line where, when Rocky is being introduced against Thunderlips, Rocky asks Mickey, "How much do you think he eats?"

Mickey answers, "About 202 pounds" just before the ring announcer says ". . . weighing 202 pounds . . . the reigning heavyweight champion os=f the world, Rocky Balboa."

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A couple of others:

Karate Kid: When they're walking into the tournament and Daniel asks Miyagi how it's supposed to go and Miyagi tells him he doesn't know because it's the first time for him too. Daniel says, "I thought you said you fought before?" Miyagi responds sarcastically, "For life, not for points!"

Stand By Me: When Ace drag races the other member of his gang and forces the oncoming truck off the road. "I won."

Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure: When the Grim Reaper walks by a guy smoking a cigarette in the store: "See ya real soon," followed by the guy dropping the cigarrette.

A League of Their Own: When Jimmy hustles the team out of the church pews and tells them, "It's not like it works, believe me, I've tried", then, as he's backing away, takes his cap off, crosses himself and points to the altar.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

M*A*S*H: "God damn Army."

Von Ryan's Express: After the British chaplain posing as a German general reams out the clerk at the train station for not having his uniform coat buttoned then stalks away, the clerk shakes his head and mutters, under his breath: "Nazis. Mein Gott."

Blazing Saddles: "Piss on you, I'm workin' for Mel Brooks!"

Caddyshack: "This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia, is it? Didn't think so."

and: "Big hitter, the Lama. Long."

Animal House: "That was Eric Stratton, rush chairman, and he was damn glad to meet you."

and: "REMAIN CALM! ALL IS WEL!!!!!"

48 Hours: "How's your car?"
    "Drives great! How's the wife?"
    "Mean as a snake."

Oh, yeah, and another from Casablanca:

"I often wonder why you came to Casablanca."
    "I came for the waters."
    "Waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Leave the body. Take the cannoli.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

From Rocky I, I always liked when Rocky's walking down the street (with Adrian?) and a guy comes out of a shadowy doorway: "Yo, the bum from the dark. Get a job ya bum!"

From Midnight Run, also loaded with throwaways, when Jimmy Serrano tells Sidney his pain-in-the-ass lawyer: "Make yourself a sandwich, drink a glass of milk... Do some fuckin' thing."

Draft saved Draft deleted