1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Moment in Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 26, 2012.

1. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

1983. my first MLB game. blue jays v. orioles. lenn sekata hits game-winning homer. awesomeness. still have the next day's newspaper with the game story...my little kid self still remembers seeing myself on ESPN on sportscenter.

http://swingandmiss.blogspot.com/2004/07/greatest-game-never-seen.html

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think, with that Miami team, leaving early was a bad idea. They'd blown the 31-point lead against Maryland and Frank Reich a couple of weeks before. Easily one of the worst one-two gut-punch combos ever.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Frank Reich. Has any QB ever had a 30-point comeback in college and a 30-point comeback in an NFL playoff game?

Pretty impressive stuff there.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Goodness, too many to count over almost 40 years. can I break it down by sport?

NFL: Montana-to-Clark in the back of the endzone in Jan. 1982 beats hated Dallas and sends the 49ers to their first Super Bowl; Elway leads Denver on late 98-yard drive to tie 1987 AFC Championship in Cleveland.

College football: "The Band is out on the field" (Cal-Stanford, 1982) and Doug Flutie's Hail Mary to win in Miami in 1984

NBA: Michael Jordan's buzzer-beater to win a series in Cleveland in 1989; Larry Bird steal and assist vs. Detroit in 1987 playoffs

College hoops: Christian Laettner beats buzzer and Kentucky to win "greatest game ever played", Danny Ainge going coast-to-coast past five defenders to beat Notre Dame at buzzer in 1981 NCAAs

Baseball: Curt Gibson's "I don't believe what I just saw" HR in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series

NHL: Bobby Orr's flying goal to clinch Stanley Cup for the 1972 Bruins; Steve Yzerman's triple-OT winner vs. St. Louis in playoffs (1996?)

Golf: Jack Nicklaus shooting 30 on back nine Sunday to win the 1986 Masters

Tennis: Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal 2008 Wimbledon final

Winter Olympics: 1980 US hockey Miracle on Ice; Sidney Crosby's GW OT goal in the 2010 gold medal game

Summer Olympics: Kerri Strug's injured vault (gymnastics) in 1996 to win team gold medal; Michael Phelps beating Miroslav Kavic by .01 of a second to winning swimming gold in Beijing in 2008, also US relay team win in 2008

Gosh, so many great ones. Can't pick just one. (Cop out, I know)

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Mark2010 opened up his "Greatest Sports Moments" almanac, and proceeded to post.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That Curt Gibson sure was something special.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

For my money, nothing could beat the speed of Kirk Flood.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is probably my favorite "No way that just happened" moment:

This has always been a favorite too:

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

One of the most memorable moments I watched live was Charles Woodson's punt return against OSU in 1997. Lots of memorable moments for that team that year including his pick against MSU and the big plays in the Rose Bowl, but this was the best.

The Red Wings also had some big moments in the late 90s. The 30T winner in the playoffs against the Blues, the Darren McCarty Claude-Lemiuex fights, etc. But my favorite was Darren McCarty's goal against the Flyers to clinch the Wings first cup in more than four decades. Never seen a city get so amped up for a team year after year than Detroit did for the Wings from about 93-99. It was a crazy time.

Best moment in person was watching Michigan's overtime win against MSU in 2004 I think (they had a lot of comebacks in that timeframe). They were down by 21 late and Chad Henne and Braylon Edwards rallied them. The 2003 game against OSU was also awesome.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Completely forgot about this one. Patrick Stefan misses an empty net with ten seconds left in reg and Oilers come back to score with two seconds left.

Every time I watch it, I think, "No way"

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Wanted to contribute, but too busy to find suitable links.
    Among things I witnessed, the worst produced, unfortunately, the best:
    Hank Gathers dies.
    LMU beat defending national champion Michigan, 149-115, in the 1990 NCAA Tournament second round at Long Beach Arena.

Other candidates for favorite moments I've witnessed: USC coming back from 24-0 to beat ND, 55-24. USC's Anthony Davis scoring 6 touchdown against ND. Kingman's performance and the ensuing postgame. Fernandomania.
    There are a bunch.

Admission: I missed the Miracle on Manchester because my paper didn't publish on Sundays and I didn't have to attend Saturday event. I usually did anyway, but I didn't that night.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that Biils comeback is still the only 30-point comeback in the NFL, regular season or playoffs, so the answer to your question is no.

Draft saved Draft deleted