1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Moment in Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 26, 2012.

1. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Didn't care about either team, but I can remember everything about this, where I was sitting, who was sitting where in the room, etc.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

How anyone thinks the trite, disingenuous "I don't believe . . . what I just saw!!!!" is superior to Scully's narration of the at-bat and call of the homer is beyond me.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Number one for me: Oregon scores a late touchdown in the 1994 Civil War to clinch its first Rose Bowl berth in my lifetime. It helps that I was standing at the back of the end zone, getting ready to field produce the post-game special.

The 2002 World Series and 2012 Stanley Cup were big. Two teams I loved as a child despite their endless ineptitude, finally putting it all together.

I'll echo the mentions of the Flutie throw. Amazing game to watch, and I didn't care about either team.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Least favorite?

Roger Craig's fumble and Matt Fucking Bahr.

To me, nothing else is even close...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I have similar memories about the Flutie game. I remember my watching it with my dad and with a few minutes left, he said, "This is over..." and went to go do something and I watched the rest of it...

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's my second.

First of course is Henderson's series winning goal with 8 seconds left in the 72 Summit Series against the Soviets. The greatest international hockey tournament EVER played.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm a Buck fan, but I've always felt it seemed a little rehearsed.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

4/2/1972, Easter Sunday, final day of the NHL season, Gerry Meehan scores with three seconds left and the Sabres win 3-2 to eliminate the Flyers from the playoffs. Doug Favel goes into the fetal position in the goal, Bobby Clarke breaks his stick over the crossbar as this 17-year-old and everyone else in the Aud goes absolutely berserk.

Civil War 1998, Ken Simonton scores in 2 OT for a 44-41 OSU win, "it's bedlam at Parker Stadium!" as thousands mob the field and tear the turf to shreds (they were replacing the carpet in the offseason). Greatest college football game I've ever seen, even better than the Joey 5Picks 2000 CW.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

David Tyree.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

This is also near the top of my list. I know it might not be exciting to some, but for me, it was amazing.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Manchester United winning the 1999 Champions League final against Bayern. I was already getting money out to pay off the bet when the first goal went in. A group of friends and I had convinced the local sports bar to open early for us and order in a special keg of McEwan's. God, I was druuuuuunk that afternoon.

Davey Allison winning the 1992 Winston "One Hot Night" backwards across the finish line. I was in the stands and had already written him off when the white flag waved. When he won and they cut him from the car, I was screaming "now he's gonna win the helicopter race to the hospital you sons a' biches!" God, I was druuuuuunk that night.

Draft saved Draft deleted