1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Moment in Sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The best one I saw in person... "THE BAND'S ON THE FIELD... THE BAND'S ON THE FIELD..."

2. Mizzougrad96

Here's my issue with the Miracle on Ice... Were you watching it on TV as it happened? If you were, great... If you weren't, I don't see how it could be your answer.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Easter Sunday 1987, and I was there. Gutter, Bubbler and old_tony know what I'm talking about.

Others over the years without a particular rooting interest:

--Laettner's shot. No rooting interest either way, but what a great sports moment.
    --Bills come back against Oilers. When it was 35-3 and then the Bills scored, I called my girlfriend (now my wife), who was at home in Houston, and told her this one isn't over. I watched the whole game.
    --Boise State over Oklahoma.
    --Jordan's 63 vs. Celtics.
    --Tebow's OT throw to beat the Steelers.

I'm sure I could throw this around and come up with another five to replace the five I just listed, and then another five to replace those five, but Easter Sunday will always be #1 with me.

Flutie would also be on my list.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I guess,technically, no one was watching it as it happened since it was a tape-delayed broadcast. I learned of the outcome before viewing it...and it didn't make a dern bit of difference. Greatest of my lifetime. Nothing else is close.

5. Mizzougrad96

I don't doubt for a second that it is the greatest sporting moment of most of our lifetimes, but like most of the people here, I watched it while knowing the outcome. That prevents it from being my favorite sports moment.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Game 6, 1986 World Series. Gary Carter, Kevin Mitchell, Ray Knight and Mookie Wilson. Thank you. Oh, and Bill Buckner too, muchas gracias.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The documentary is outstanding.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I still had to see it to believe it and still had a hard time believing it after I saw it.

EDIT: I would disagree that most of us here (SportsJournalists.com members) knew the outcome before we watched it that Friday evening. Many of our group hadn't been born yet.

9. Mizzougrad96

I was 6 and I remember my uncle calling my mom and telling her that I had to watch it. I knew while watching it that the US won, so the combination of that and being super young, it probably didn't have the impact on me that it should have had...

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good point. I gotcha by 12 years and was a huge hockey fan (still am). I'll confess my perspective, then and now, may be just a tad bit jaded. ;D

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

As I recall the Miracle on Ice game against the USSR was either carried live on radio or on Canadian TV (I lived in an area which picked up some Canadian stations) so the outcome was not really a secret before the game played on TV.

The gold medal game a couple days later, which itself was pretty dramatic -- the US trailed most of the game, and if they had lost they would not have medaled at all.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My favorite NFL team has won a Super Bowl in the last decade, but my favorite sports moment for me in that span only tangentially involved the Packers:

(hi Rosie!)

I had seen my first Packers game two weeks earlier at San Diego. Then came the famous Favre vs. the Raiders MNF game the following week. Then Poole caught that ball to send the Pack into the playoffs. Man, I thought for sure that was Green Bay's year. Then "We want the ball and we're gonna score", a sudden-death win for the Packers. Then an upset brewing at mighty Philadelphia ... everything was setting up for me to go see the NFC championship game in Charlotte, my first playoff game in person ... and then with Super Bowl dreams in my head, the Pack was thwarted by fourth-and-goddamn-26. Sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted