1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite golf course

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Have played Torrey Pines South -- last June so what that really means is that I've still not played the 2008 U.S. Open course, but I have played it and liked it. I'll play the North course after the U.S. Open finishes since it is only a 9-hole course at the moment. Once I play both 18s at Torrey Pines then I can say I've played the Buick Invitational courses.

I have played a lot of courses along the central coast of California. La Purisima (a one-time LPGA tournament course and often used as a U.S. Open qualifying spot), Hunter Ranch and Cypress Ridge are a few that standout as does Avila Beach and BlackLake (it has 27 holes).

I recently played 18 of the 27 holes at Riverview Golf Club in San Diego, near Qualcomm Stadium and a former PGA Tour course in the 50s.

Would like to play more Palm Springs courses and Northern California courses in the near future.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

My brother — who stinks at golf — played Augusta National a few weeks ago.
    Asshole.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

And here is the best (or, perhaps, the worst) part ... I only paid for ONE of the rounds. Pinehurst No. 2, on my first honeymoon. :)

rb

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Yeah, you're not helping your case.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

I hope you shot a fucking million.

6. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Bulls Bay !!! Great choice. What a Michael Stranz course. I hope your Dad invites you often. Wonderful beautiful course. It's a knockout. Great shot options on almost every hole. I've played it 3x as a guest....would love to be a member there. Top notch all around.

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

1. Bethpage Black...played 30 times. Know when to go. Brutal even from whites.
    2. Murifield Village...Jack's home course. EVERYTHING is top shelf quality.
    3. Any Golf Course in Japan...pristine courses, service, hot tub afterwards, female caddies.
    4. Montauk Downs....NY, better views than Shinnecock. And only about 30 bucks.
    5. Bulls Bay...SC, a Mike Stranz wonder
    6. Pinehurst...any of the courses, stay at the hotel.
    7. Kiawah Island...Ocean Course. Leave your ego home, it will humble any golfer.
    8. Ria Bintan...Indonesia, Gary Player design, google it. Amazing 3 holes on the ocean.
    9. Garden City Men's Club...NY, super hard, great lore, a real men's golf club.
    10. Legends...Malaysia, a Jack course, my only ace.

8. Rockbottom

1. Augusta = 104 (with 39 putts, but a par on 12 and 13, then pars on 7, 8 and 9 coming home)
    2. Pinehurst No. 2 = 92 (with NO lost balls)
    3. Sawgrass = 94
    4. Jupiter Hills = 87 (I was ON then ...)
    5. Shoal Creek = Not yet ... The next fine spring day.

rb

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Rock, do you pay for these yourself or does your line of work pick up the tab?

Or does your job give you the juice to have these fine places let you play free of charge?

10. Rockbottom

Covered the Masters twice, and won the lottery there.

Like I said, Pinehurst was full retail (honeymoon)

Sawgrass was as a result of covering the tournament, and they had media days beforehand.

Jupiter Hills was a friend of a friend of a member deal. As will Shoal Creek.

rb

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Chef, call the guy and tell him that St. Andrew's NY isn't the oldest course in America, though it is the oldest club (1888). They moved to their current site in 1897 and had Nicklaus do a complete remodeling in 1985.
    Oakhurst may be the oldest, though not in continuous use.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Played:
    Shoal Creek
    Ocean Course at Kiawah
    The Dunes Club, Myrtle Beach
    Dorado Beach East in Puerto Rico
    Troon North in Scottsdale
    Caledonia, Myrtle Beach
    Ross Creek Landing, in Tennessee
    Turtle Point Yacht and Country Club, in Killen, Ala.

Favorites where i've covered tournaments:
    Congressional
    Olympic Club
    Pebble
    Augusta National
    Pinehurst

Draft saved Draft deleted