1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite "fun" stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm doing a feature on a big run coming up this weekend and, looking over the past results, was reminded of a really fun story I did a few years back. This run is a big deal around here (about 1,000 people participate each year) and has been going on for nearly 30 years. One of our local residents is among a handful of people who has run it each and every year. Only thing is, he's finished last or close to it every time.
    I noticed it one year while looking through past results and thought it'd be a great feature, and it was. The guy, who is in his late 40s now, was incredibly cool and had a great sense of humor about it. He had moved out of town and used the race as an excuse to come home and visit family. He had let some old folks finish ahead of him a couple times so they wouldn't be last, and had some great stories about volunteers packing up the water stations by the time he got to them. All in all, one of the most enjoyable stories I've ever done.

So what are some of your favorites? Not necessarily the hard-hitting, three months of research and a pack of lawsuits stuff. Just the ones that were fun to do, from the interviews all the way through the writing?
  2. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

When I did a story on the Battle of Bladensburg (War of 1812) encampment at a local historical house. I have a years-old avid interest in the War of 1812 and this event gave me the perfect opportunity to induldge that as part of my job. I enjoyed pretty much all aspects of it from the research to being there to talking to people.

The coolest thing was that I was hoping to do an interview with a kid who was really into history and said interview just kind of fell in my lap. I turned in nearly 1,000 words. Each one of them was a joy to write.
  3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

All my stories are a joy to write!
  4. I'm not a hunter by any stretch of the imagination, but we have a pretty big outdoors show in our area that is heavily attended in an outdoors popular part of the state.

One year during the outdoors show, they had a seminar on how to process a dear once you've harvested it. It was actually pretty neat to watch the deer be processed right in front of me and the two guys doing it had some pretty good jokes mixed in. Made for a neat story to cover and write.
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is processing the deer after you've harvested it anything like cutting the sucker up into venison steaks after you shot it dead?
  6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't you mean the Bladensburg Races?
  7. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Indeed. Though that moniker led to one of the most memorable quotes I got that day: "To say all the Americans ran is an injustice to the Americans, and I'm a Brit telling you that."
  8. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

A high school wrestling coach I covered once used to wise crack about every kid on his team whenever he'd call in his results. It jumped out at me the first time I talked to him, it was just obvious the guy had a lot of charisma. He told me his 119-pound kid was pretty good, but was going to miss the first few weeks of the season because broke his wrist playing football and just got the cast off. Took me a few seconds before I thought about it and I asked, "you mean he broke it playing football in the yard? He wasn't on the football team, was he?" Remember, the kid is 119 pounds.

Coach says, "No, he was on the football team."

Me: He was? So, at 119 pounds, how did he manage to play enough to break his wrist?

Coach (in a blatantly over-the-top sarcastic tone): Oh, you'd be surprised ... Florida State and Notre Dame were out here looking at him ... kid's a D-I stud!

He proceeds to go off on how he can never find enough kids to wrestle because they all want to train for football year-round. And he was so funny about everything, I actually started looking forward to him calling in results. I ended up going out and doing a story on him and his team ... went to a practice and it was non-stop everyone in the room, him and the kids, wise-cracking on each other for two hours. It was hilarious. They probably did some of it for show because I was there, but the kids said that's how the guy always is, and you just have to get used to it if you're going to be on the team. Had fun with that one.
Draft saved Draft deleted