1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Broadway Shows/Musicals

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good call. I am going to have to do the same.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Had heard the music, but hadn't seen it until the latest Broadway revival. Liked it more than I thought I would.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Tick Tick.....Boom, probably.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That is correct. I just brain-farted for a moment.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Terrific obscure material from some of the folks who founded the franchise, in chrono order:

1929: Cole Porter's Fifty Million Frenchmen: Porter was nuts about Paris, and
    he wrote most of his spot-on Paris stuff early in his career, including this episodic entertainer. Notable highlights include "You Do Something To Me" and
    the hysterical 11 o'clock number "I'm Unlucky At Gambling". Score exists on CD.
    Do yourself a favor.

1932: Rodgers & Hart: Love Me Tonight: The highlight of R&H's Hollywood exile.
    A Paramount Pictures release, starring Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette McDonald,
    along with many of the stock Paramount players, including Charles Butterworth,
    C. Aubrey Smith, and Myrna Loy in a riotous man-hungry role. Song highlights
    include "Isn't It Romantic" (featured early-on in one of the most remarkable film
    sequences, ever) and "Lover". Available on DVD, and we are grateful.

1933: The Gershwins: "Pardon My English": Writing a musical based in Germany for 1933 staging was not a good idea, and given the depths of the Depression, the production broke the producer. Too bad, because while the plot is bizarre, the score is top-rate, with such quality stuff as "The Lorelei" and "My Cousin In Milwaukee" among the highlights. Widely available on CD.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Bringing back the thread since I just saw Wicked for the 3rd time tonight.
    This last year I have been "dragged" to see more productions and have seen Rock of Ages (loved it!), Million Dollar Quartet (LOVED IT!) and Wicked (liked it the 2nd time the best, but this time was good also since we were in the 5th row).
    My wife still wants to see Book of Mormon and after she saw Jersey Boys, I think I want to see it also.

Draft saved Draft deleted