1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Broadway Shows/Musicals

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Mar 4, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I was a musical theater major for two years until my parents forced me into a more reliable career in journalism.

Someone should remake Bye Bye Birdie, sort of like High School Musical with a military twist.

The original Dreamgirls with Jennifer Holliday was breathtaking....A Chorus Line too. I think I saw Pippen ten times in two years, I have no idea why except my mother really loves Ben Vereen.

My mother still plays the South Pacific and Flower Drum Song albums on her RCA record player. Record player, you might have to google a picture of that.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How did you get Nathan Lane to come with you?

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Let me add two shows I love for a different reason:

Phantom of the Opera
    Sound of Music

Made (and will make) good coin off both. :D

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

West Side Story revival opens in D.C. in December and moves to Broadway in Feb. 2009.
    Read somewhere that Bye Bye Birdie was being revived as well. Can't find a link so I could be wrong.

November had its moments but just seemed overall like a vehicle for Lane to say "fuck" a lot.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Jersey Boys was great.

It's not easy to replicate Frankie Valli's vocals, but I thought John Lloyd Young was outstanding.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Agreed.
    I also hear his replacement, Michael Longoria, is quite good. I may find out, I could sit through it a second time easily.

7. Unfortunately, it also means you had to sing "Goodbye, So Long, Auf Wiedersehn, Adieu," the worst song in the history of the musical theater.

8. And Blythe Danner, Gwyneth's momma, played Martha J.
    I also saw the remake with Commander Data as John Adams.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's up there.

But another thread, for another day.

At today's prices, I go out of my way to make as certain as possible I'm avoiding sheer junk, but you occasionally get caught.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

1. Les Mis: Combination of story and exceptionally demanding and beautifully written songs. Stage sets are also breathtaking.

2. Phantom: Sets are just incredible. Story not as depthy. Music is right there with my top pick.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The recent restaging of "Company" with Raul Esparza was terrific. But I'm a sucker for Sondheim. I suspect others have less patience with the book, and the not-reliably hummable music.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Imspired by this thread I dusted off my Pippin CD. I may have to revise my list I forgot how wonderful the songs are.

Draft saved Draft deleted