1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite beat and why?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Canyonero!, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Yeah, basically I'm just curious what people on this board consider their favorite beats.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Covering college basketball in the Big Ten (specifically Iowa). Great venues, great games, for the most part great coaches.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

College basketball. I've grown to enjoy covering college hoops more than football, probably because there are more games and I LOVE the NCAA tourney.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

So far, it's been major junior hockey. Was on it for seven years and I loved covering those kids before they made it big. Of course, I get to look at them in the NHL now and say, 'I knew them when ...'

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

It really varies. I work at a 17K daily (no Sunday) in a 50K town with a summer collegiate baseball team, an American Legion baseball team, 11 high schools, a Div. II college, as well as ACC football and basketball and a Double-A team.

Sometimes during basketball season, it's ACC hoops but other times, I'm pretty happy covering a high school game. And sometimes a high school girls soccer match seems right.

I'm most at home around baseball and football but have learned a lot about other sports such as tennis, soccer and volleyball. So far, I've managed to avoid local stock car racing.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've covered major colleges and mid-majors in basketball, football, hockey, volleyball and baseball/softball.

My favorite -- headaches and all -- is still high schools.
    I still enjoy writing about good kids and stupid adults...

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. noodles

noodles Member

Major college basketball beat. It's all mine. The travel's cool. The program's decent, but when October rolls around, you never know what the next six months will hold. It's still a nice ride.

9. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

ACC basketball. Just college basketball in general really. It's the one time of the year I'm somewhat selfish and do more writing than desk. It's the one thing that keeps me going the rest of the year and gives me something to look forward to.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

JUCO hoops.

I find that odd too, because it's not my favorite sport. Football is followed by baseball, then volleyball, then hoops

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Hockey - most everyone in the sport is accessible and a great quote.

College hoops - Great atmosphere. At the mid-major level access can be great. Even some at the major level can be great to work with.

12. WS

WS Member

College basketball.

I'd love to cover an NCAA tournament, but my mid-major is a one-shot league and its facilities are putrid, while the school's football and baseball facilities are tops in the conference

Draft saved Draft deleted