1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite band's peak

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Apr 2, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

They closed with "My Morning Song" the first time I saw them live. Southern Harmony was a fairly new album then, too. It got me hooked and I've missed very few of their shows since.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Heart Shaped Box is a better song. Unplugged was their best performance.

And, Rhody, the reason you outgrew Dave Matthews is because you got married and stopped trying to nail college girls. That's what Dave Matthews is for. No reason beyond that to listen. :D

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Also: Good background music when folding laundry.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still partial to Come As You Are. The intro is hook line and sinker.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Height of talent for Pearl Jam? Holy crap, that's a hard one, mainly because unlike Nirvana, which has a tragically short record to draw from, PJ has a catalog full of songs that could fit this depending on what you're looking for. I'm going with "Given to Fly." A lot before and a few after that I could see an argument for, though.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Given to Fly" is my fave PJ song, especially live.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Except it sounds exactly like "Going to California."

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Queen's Live At The Bowl.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That's why I almost went with "Corduroy" or "Do the Evolution." But part of what I love about PJ is their homages to the bands they grew up loving. They have songs that are clearly influenced by Zeppelin, Neil Young, The Dead Milkmen, Pink Floyd and a bunch of others. This one may be a little too blatantly like "Going to California," but it's still got a lot to offer. Plus, like Huggy, it's one of my favorite PJ tunes.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And most of Zeppelin's first album sounded like something else, doesn't matter to me. And Zep's first album is probably still my fave, even if they had some impressive peaks to follow.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And "Yellow Ledbetter" might be the second-best Hendrix song of that era that Jimi never wrote, the first would be "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" by Lenny Kravitz.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Going album rather than song because I think it's a bit easier to draw the divide. For REM, I'd go with 'Green'. Just one man's opinion, and they certainly had a lot of high moments to follow. But, 'Green' put a bow on a three album run with 'Pageant', 'Document' and 'Green' where from track one to the finish, every song was fantastic. Not a throwaway in the bunch.

For the Stones, I can respect the choice of 'Gimme Shelter', but I would probably pull something from Exile, like 'Tumbling Dice' or 'Sweet Virginia'.

Draft saved Draft deleted