1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite ambiguous endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 28, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"If it was written differently and key scenes were changed, the movie would be different" applies to every movie ever made. That Doesn't make anything ambiguous, in and of itself.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, the movie -- as released -- leaves ambiguity of where the focus of the investigation into Lester's death is going to fall.

We the audience know who killed him and we know the legal case is pretty open-and-shut, but the loose ends left behind are going to be anything but neat and clean.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Infinite Jest. I've read it twice, and the ending just sort of appears and then you're done.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've probably seen "American Beauty" four or five times. It never occurred to me that we are supposed to care about who gets prosecuted for Lester's murder. It's fascinating to me that quite a few people have put quite a bit of thought into it.

5. MisterCreosote

The ending of Romeo and Juliet is ambiguous because we don't know if the authorities deemed it suicide or one of the Montegues or Capulets got nabbed for it.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Amelia Earhart, whoa.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1994. I mean, the Expos were 74-30 but ...

8. MisterCreosote

Titanic. Because it could've been written differently to depict the boat not sinking, and we don't know what would've happened to Rose if Jack had lived.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, some people are fucking morons, and some aren't.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

George: "So that old woman is just a liar?"

Jerry: "And a bit of a tramp, if you ask me."

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Inception and Cast Away. Both leave it open to interpretation.

Inception - to me it doesn't matter. Seems like either way he's in a happy place.

Cast Away - I like to think Chuck goes back to the artist's house.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Killer joe

Draft saved Draft deleted