1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your fault, OR, what are they paying those darned copy editors for?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beardpuller, Feb 13, 2008.

1. You ARE good enough to work at the Plain-Dealer.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

What about when you write a feature story, thinking it's going to run within, oh, I don't know, the next five days, and when it finally does run, about eight days later, and the team mentioned in the story played when you're out of town thus changing their record and players' stats mentioned and your SE doesn't bother to update the record et al and sends it to print?

Just wondering. Not that it's ever happened to me. Recently. Or anything.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

At my place, not only am I writing the story, we have no SE, so I'm laying it out. I then have to proof it as well, so if mistakes happen, I'll take the blame but I hardly let it bug me. Unless, of course, it's something inexcusible that goes to print. Something like: "Alexa Smith scored a game high 20 points even though she sucks.". See, in that case, it should be game-high.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

as a geezer who's worked on both sides of the aisle, i know well how copy deskers do thankless work. also know that, as a reporter/writer, i have ALWAYS taken mistakes that show up in print on myself.

the desk has saved my butt plenty of times. well, maybe not exactly "saved my butt" -- fixed typos aren't "butt saving" -- but you get the idea. i've always bent over backwards to treat those reading my copy with the respect and gratitude they deserve.

that said, this is where over-editing by some get those guilty of it in trouble. often, in over-editing -- mistakes are entered into stories. that is NOT acceptable. and i maake my displeasure known. after all, it's MY name and reputation on the line with every byline.

mistakes made by me? eternally grateful when they're caught. all my fault when they're not. that should be true in any walk of life, no?

as for stories that run well after you've written them, you should stay on top of it and make sure the editors update whatever's necessary.

5. schiezainc

If you're running a feature story that isn't going to print for five days, how important are the stats or record? Do they need to be mentioned? If you're unsure of when it's going to print, why not put: "As of Friday's win, the Buttsniffers were 2-345". This way, even if it runs three days later, it's technically accurate.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point. Or ... perhaps an editor could take maybe 15 seconds and look it up on the web.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Typos, misspelling, etc., especially misspellings, are on the reporter. That's why they have spell check people.

Now I hate editing my own stuff like most people, so I do count on a copyt editor to catch stuff as well and hope they also run spellcheck.

But any good writer will ultimately hold themselves responsible for anything they put into their story with their name on it. I hate when I have any typo.

Copy editors don't know which way Kathy, ro Cathy or Kathee or Cathi spells her name, so that is on the writer. Especially at smaller papers where there aren't as many copy editors.

8. schiezainc

Yeah, and in a perfect world, the editor would read through your story and have it print-ready thirty-two seconds after your submitted it. Fact is, mistakes happen, and if stats or records are the biggest problem your paper has, then....are you hiring? :)

9. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

As one who has done both, and managed both, I was always thankful for the effort of both writers and deskers. There were a few times when I filed something on the fly on a given night, driving home, well past midnight, deadline long gone, mind wandering that I fouled up something and thinking, yep, great, one guy working desk tonight, I'm sure he caught it with everything else going on. Yeh, right. But most times they'd catch it and I'd be eternally grateful. I've did desk far too long as well and saved a few asses on a few occasions. So I well know the pissing match that always goes on between both camps. But, that said, to use a hockey metaphor, even the best goalies let a few through and the best centers don't score on every breakaway. When it happens, accept the responsibility. You write and make the mistake, your fault. You edit a mistake into a story, your fault. If you're a writer who can't spell or use grammar correctly, get a dictionary and learn. What did you go to school for? If you're a desker and let 40 mistakes go through a night, Home Depot is calling. If you're the department head, you take it for the team, and I did, many, many times. :-[ :'(

Fingerpointing will get you nowhere, kids. You make a mistake, accept it, move on. Life's too short to worry about whose "fault" it is. Moddy, you are right as always (even if you are one of those damn academes now) -- there is no I in team! :)

10. Birddog

Birddog Guest

I never trust spellcheck, use a dictionary, but still make typos. I print out shorter copy and double-check that. As for factual errors, I stopped that prob by deciding every editor who caught a factual mistake would get a $25 Red Lobster/Olive Garden gift certificate. For a couple of weeks, I was broke but had a lot of friends on the desk. Then the factual errors stopped.
    BTW, as a newbie, the Bischoff Biers are on me -- if you can find them.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

It's not a mistake if YOU believe it

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Assuming you're not using a universal desk, the editor oughta catch it or check the rosters. (You have rosters, right?) ;)

The smaller the department, the more detail the editor should know.

That said, my mistake is my mistake. The editors make me look better.

Draft saved Draft deleted