1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Earliest Sports Memory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Slash

Slash Member

I remember watching Yankee games and knew who Reggie Jackson was when I was three or four. My grandma made me a Yankee uni. I also remember going to college football games with my dad and grandpa and begging them to take me to see the mascot. I was four or five. The first Super Bowl I remember watching was 1982, Bengals vs. 49ers. I remember the AFC and NFC Champ. games, too. I also remember watching the 1981 and 82 NCAA Tourney title games when I would have been 6 and 7.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Oh well. I did get the opportunity to sit in the bleachers a few times with Earl Battey's Con Edison group. Got into a scuffle once when someone tried to grab my Little League hat. Good times.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bat day at Yankee stadium? Wow, what were the casualties?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Earl was not the brightest bulb in the stands but a nice man. As we got a bit older my friends and I used to go down to see Earl and try to stump him with questions. Question ranging from did he call Jim Grant "Mudcat" or "Jim" to why did Sam Mele have a purple nose? We also tried to get Earl to buy us beer.
    Not something I'm proud of but funny to me non the less.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never did bat day at the stadium when I was a kid. I did a couple of Old Timers' Days and I was there on a day that they gave away Reggie Bars, but it wasn't the opening day game when Reggie homered and the fans threw the candy on the field.

The "I'll be damned if I'm going to a game on a day they put weapons into the hands of 50,000 people in the Bronx," made me laugh. I can see my dad saying that. He'd only take me to day games and everything about the outings were planned out, as if we were invading Iraq. When I was 11, I won tickets to a weekday night game in an ice-cream eating contest, and taking me damn-near killed him.

I just thought of another memory from when I was 10, because it was a rare night game. I went with my uncle and cousins It was one of Ron Guidry's three losses in 1978. I think he only gave up two runs, but Mike Flanagan outpitched him.

Draft saved Draft deleted