1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Earliest Sports Memory

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey Shockey maybe we were at same games. The doubleheader I went to Andy Kosco took micks place in 2nd game and hit a HR.

What I remember most was seeing Charley Smith in corner of dugout between inning smoking a cigarette.

2. boots

boots New Member

Watching Sandy Koufax throw a no-hitter.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oct. 1978. Yankees at Red Sox. Bucky Fucking Dent pwns the Monster. Suck it, Boston. Suck it long and suck it hard.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Bob Welch vs. Reggie Jackson, World Series. Bring the heat, youngster, and watch him flail.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

The first baseball game I ever saw on TV was when I was 5. I just remember how big and green the outfield was. I think it was Shea Stadium. I was a Mets fan for about five minutes until I discovered Don Mattingly's moustache looked a lot like my dad's.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's awesome, buck. just awesome!!

my dad also took me to the july 23, 1966 old-timer's day game, i believe it was. the mick hit an opposite field grand slam in the upper deck in right, if i recall. that's a built more shady for me, 'cause i was only 9. but my dad, still with us, god bless him, confirms this.

7. boots

boots New Member

Oh I forgot to mention the date of that Sandy Koufax no-hitter. It was June 4, 1964 against the Philadelphia Phillies at Connie Mack Stadium. What a treat that was!

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Going with my dad and uncle to Bat Day at Tiger Stadium when I was six (1968). Would have been my first game ever.
    We walked up, my dad forgot the tickets, we went home. Never forgot it. I can still to this day remember walking across Trumbull to the stadium and seeing how big the outside wall looked.

9. boots

boots New Member

I used to love bat day at Yankee Stadium. The PA announcer would always say "Wave your bats bats in the air carefully!"

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Back when they used to give away real bats, instead of the toothpick toys...Went the next year, got a Willie Horton model that I had for years.

11. boots

boots New Member

Speaking of memories, the best thing my dad taught me to do was to root for villans. We'd go to roller derby and wrestling matches rooting for the bad guys. Why? Because they ALWAYS gave you their money's worth. Also, he taught me how to go to other ball parks and root for the visiting team. He taught me how to enjoy sports, how to fight when you had to and how to run when shit got ugly.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My first baseball game, I got in at first base in the fifth inning. I was 10.

Down by one run, I came up in the bottom of the sixth and drew a walk. How, I'll never know. There was one out, and I was the tying run on first. Next batter popped out to shortstop. And, of course, I thought there were two outs, learning the truth only as I was tagged out trotting past the pitcher's mound.

My baseball career got better after that, fortunately. The second game, we faced an actual "pitcher," one who threw an actual fastball. And I bounced a sharp double down the right-field line, a ball hit harder than any I had ever hit before in my life, because I had never managed to get my bat in the way of an actual fastball before.

Draft saved Draft deleted