1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your DVD Library: Westerns

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Tombstone — Dialogue is kind of hokey at times, but Val Kilmer's performance is a tour de force.

The Outlaw Josey Wales — My favorite Eastwood Western, though High Plains Drifter and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly aren't far behind.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance — The rare anti-violence Western (especially for that time).

High Noon — A sense of impending doom for the entire film. Copied many times, but never duplicated.

The Searchers — The vistas are phenomenal.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid — Quite possibly the greatest script ever written, in terms of dialogue.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but those top the list.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've only got Blazing Saddles.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Wait, you own movies that came out before 1990?

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got that one Major League, Platoon (I've got a thing for Tom Berenger-Charlie Sheen movies) and, of course, the sitcoms. But that's it.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Once Upon A Time In The West and The Wild Bunch are the two I own.

I've run my love of Once Upon A Time In The West into the ground on SJ before.

I wish I had Duck, You Sucker (once called Fistful Of Dynamite), though I do have it on my DVR. The music alone is worth owning it on DVD. Great, great film.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I really want to get the American Tail set. That way I can have the sequel, Fievel Goes West.

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

UNFORGIVEN: Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman. Four Academy Awards including Best Picture.

"It's a helluva a thing, killing a man. Ya take away all he's got... all he's every gonna have."

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A few lesser known spaghetti westerns I have...

Django - Many levels of awesome.
    The Great Silence - The bad guys win.
    Sabata Trilogy - Acrobats, gadget weapons, bizarre characters...perfection!

I also have a few of the Terence Hill and Bud Spencer comedies, but I've not a big fan of that schlock.

As far as modern westerns are concerned, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is right up there with the best in the genre. Also the Aussie western The Proposition is worth checking out.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The A of JJ by the CRF is, indeed, good, NoOne.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

And I want to see Appaloosa when it comes out next week. There is nothing like seeing a western on the big screen.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I've got Tombstone, the Magnificent Seven, the Wild Bunch, the Good the Bad and the Ugly, and 3:10 to Yuma.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Never been a big fan of Westerns, but I'll be damned if there are five better Westerns than "Unforgiven", a movie that I maintain includes one of the greatest endings in movie history.

Draft saved Draft deleted