1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your DVD collection

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jul 28, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've got that one as well. i crown jewel

i also own an episode of espn's 'the season' where i'm interviewed -- the camera is waaaaay to close to me

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I've got about 40 DVDs I guess, and yeah, I like all of them. Most are action movies I like (my bro. got me "Domino" for my birthday) and I've got the past 5 seasons of the Sopranos. Got to say, too, it was theraputic after I got dumped earlier in the summer to pop in Mel Gibson's "Payback" and have a few beers...

Oh, like others, I've got "Band of Brothers" on DVD too.

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

On my own, only about 20 DVDs. Mostly sports movies or teen movies including Mean Girls, Drive Me Crazy and Jawbreaker. Consolidated with Cougarguy's collection, I'd put it at about 50 or 60. But like I've counted. ::)

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think I've got about 250. I've been buying fewer lately than I did before I started Netflix, but I still buy some. I figure, even at $16 or so, it's cheaper than going to the movies. I go to the movie theater about twice a year now--last time was to see An Inconvenient Truth.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I think I'm up to about 80 DVDs now, and I've watched ~76 of those a dozen times apiece. But then, I never watch TV (except sports.) And none of my DVD sets are TV shows. And I don't mind picking up a familiar movie at any point in the film, or falling asleep an hour into it, or using it as background noise while I multi-task (usually here :p).

But the *only* DVD that I have *ever* paid retail price for was the Indiana Jones trilogy (spent $49 at Target for the four-set collection w/ bonus disc.) The only other DVDs I've paid more than $10 for were "A Hard Day's Night" (sp. edition), "Reservoir Dogs" (sp. edition) and "Dogma" (sp. edition.)

If you don't already know, half.com is the place to go. Most of my DVDs have been about $2-3 (total is usually about $5-6 w/ shipping.) The good ones might be $5-6 (so $8-9 total). Still, fair price for something I get a lot out of. Just got one in the mail today: "When It Was A Game 2," the old 8MM clips of 1930s-50s baseball, that was $4.42 total. And in great shape.

1 DVD > 2 cups of Starbucks
    Same price, emminently more enjoyable long-term

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have a lot of DVDs but I don't watch nearly enough of them.

Off the top of my head, the only movies I have that I've watched multiple times are Scream and The Outsiders. The Weird Al Yankovic video collection has also gotten a lot of play.

The best use of DVDs, to me, is to catch up on shows you began to like mid-stream. I'm in the middle of season five of Gilmore Girls now (pussy) and season one of One Tree Hill (I am not a man). I imagine I'll ask for My Name Is Earl for my birthday or Xmas.

It's cool having all the 24s, so we can go back to a certain episode if it's referenced several years later in the current season.

And, of course, my prize possession is the Freaks and Geeks collection, inside the special limited edition bound yearbook. Fucking sweet.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha, I ordered it from Shout Factory. But be warned: It's been two years since I got it and disc 2 skips. I've yet to hear back from customer service.

Draft saved Draft deleted