1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "Damn, I'm getting old" moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Can't you do both?

Could she have been on MILF Island?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When I was older than the Playboy Playmates.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Awwww, JR, that's nice. And at your age, probably the best you could do ;D

For me the getting old thing really came to a head when I realized I needed to wear the gear to catch my daughter when she would go through her pitching workouts. When I was younger (and she wasn't as good as she is now) I had no problem keeping up with the pitches. Then they started to move faster than I could react. I took a couple of drop and curveballs off the shins and when she added a rise ball that would jump up to where my face was, it was time. But I played the game for crying out loud, how could this happen?

Oh yeah...I am old

Also, when I realized that I just didn't give acrap about as much as I used to.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Definitely the reading glasses. Small print on mail/bills is impossible to read now without them.

I swore to myself when I was younger that I would never criticize young folks for their style of dress, and considering what we wore in the 70s when I was growing up, that's a pretty good, no stones at glass houses policy. But, I couldn't hold myself to my promise with the saggy pants halfway down the arse look. Pull your damn pants up, young man!

Lots of moments on this site. The latest I recall is when someone referred to the Spice Girls as MILFs. Um, were'nt they just breaking onto the scene as young ladies a few minutes ago?

Madonna going into the Hall of Fame struck a similar chord. I can remember the buzz when she was just breaking in with "Borderline".

But, hey--I did blow out a speaker in my car last year cranking KISS tunes.....

One quote I'm reminded of that fits in here (and I may not have the wording exactly right):

When Erk Russell was coaching Georgia Southern, he said you know you're getting old when you go on recruiting trips and the mammas start looking good. And you're really getting old when the grandmammas do as well.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's always great when players refer to the veteran as "the old man" and he's in his early to mid-30s, essentially my age...

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Grey pube. Found last month. Sad.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Napoleon Dynamite.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm sorry I started that fight with you. Friends?

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Only if we're best!

Peace. (Pssst, I like the croissanwich better than the egg mcmuffing. Shhhhh)

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

You pussy.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

1978 -- my first pro sports event as a fan. Here is dating myself:

1. It was a Bulls game in the old Chicago Stadium.
    2. Which people left early to get the hell out of the neighborhood because it was so awful.
    3. It was the last Chicago appearance of... John Havlicek.
    4. Security didn't care that my father lifted my 8-year-old self and my 7-year-old brother over the rails so we could run down the corridor to see if we could get Havlicek's autograph.
    5. Neither did Havlicek, who signed photos for us.
    6. Not only was Larry Bird not playing for the Celtics, who sucked, but Red Auerbach hadn't even drafted him yet.
    7. Norm Van Lier was a Bulls player, not a crazy old radio coot.
    8. Artis Gilmore played, had a big afro, and no one called it retro.
    9. Scott May, not Sean, was the disappointing young former college star on the roster.
    10. Cornbread Maxwell was a Celtics rookie, not a crazy old radio coot.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Our Big Mac knock off sucked. Just know that our flame-broiled burgers are so much better than your nuked patties.

And Chef, the purple fat-ass found a grey pube ... The King is trying to show a sensitive side. This is how I role:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted