1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "Damn, I'm getting old" moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Reading this board more often than I should. Some of the crap said by the fresh-outta-college crew will do it.

Otherwise, a kid I covered as a 12-year-old Little Leaguer is breaking in with the Mariners this spring.

There also are those moments where I see one of the cute little HS girls I covered back when I first broke in and think, "damn, she's had some rough years ..." when she is at least five years younger than me.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I got two:

1. In the first college class I taught at my alma mater a couple of years ago, one of my students was the daughter of a high school classmate of mine. She's since graduated and in grad school.

2. When I was picking up our 2-year-old daughter and infant son from day care, ran into another high school classmate; he was picking up his grandchild.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

When sedans started looking practical to me, and when I look in the mirror and admit that my SUV is just a glorified station wagon.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My first one came when I was 22. I had just graduated college, and all of my hometown college friends still had a week of classes left. I called my youngest friend, who was a senior in high school and dating one of my best friends. She asked me if I'd like to go to the mall with her friend the next day. So there I am, hanging out with two high-school girls on a school day -- it was superintendent's day -- being dragged from store to store. While we're in the shoe store, my friend, Kristie, says, "Oh, look, Airwalks. Those were popular when I was in first grade." I looked to my left and said, "Fuck you." Those were the shoes I wasn't cool enough to own in sixth grade. It was awful.

Also at 22, my buddy and I were two of eight people in a two-block line of people outside to see Sum 41 over the age of 21.

And even now, I constantly check the time while I'm at a concert and hope that the band is nearing the end.

5. Read a story the other day that said Ken Griffey Jr. is 37.

Damn.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My younger cousin (who turns 25 in September -- how's THAT for making me feel old!) and I were on AIM a few weeks ago and I made some offhand joke about being Constitutionally eligible to run for President this year.

He said "oh God." I was fully prepared for him to tell me just how lame my joke was. What he actually said fits this thread to a T:

"Seems like you just turned 30."

I remember him when he was a little kid. He seemed like a little kid for a long time, even after he had his bar mitzvah, he seemed like he was still in elementary school. Now he's in graduate school after graduating from Cornell.

I'll be buying everyone mint juleps at Shady Pines.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Old moments for half the people posting on this thread: forgetting they posted on it the first time around:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42111/

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I had one this season when I realized that not one, but two, of our girls high school basketball coaches played in high school since I've started working at this paper. One of them just had her second kid, and was a sophomore when I got here.
    They're only about five years younger than me, but it's still depressing.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I turn 40 tomorrow. I'm afraid to have anyone light candles for a cake for fear it will trigger all the fire alarms in the building.

Back on topic: Last spring I did a story on a high school rugby team. One of the players' mothers went to school with me and we graduated in 1986.

Looked at myself in the mirror and did my best Florida Evans impression from Good Times. Damn. Damn! Damn!!

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Phew. That was before I really started posting -- the good, old days.

11. good for us or you?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I like being here. Good for the rest of the suckers.

Draft saved Draft deleted