1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "Damn, I'm getting old" moment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

So, when I was a kid, I'd look over at my grandparents (who raised me) and I'd see them falling asleep in their chair while they were watching TV. I found this to be the most hilarious thing and wondered "How could anyone fall asleep sitting up?"

Now, I'm 35 and about half time time when I settle in to watch TV (even during the day), I'll find myself dozing off.
    What the hell??!!??
    I know it's probably the hours that come with being a journalist who works the desk a lot (plenty of late nights), but still. I'm usually wide awake when I sit down and **boom** I'm out in like two minutes.

My other "damn, I'm getting old moment" was I saw my 14-year-old brother with his iPod and I could hear the music booming through his earphones clear as day. Sure enough, like any old person would, I told him to turn it down.
    Ugh.
    I LIVED in my headphones as a teenager and constantly was trying to tune out the adults, who told me all the time I was ruining my ears. And there I was. Luckily, I caught myself and played it off to my brother that I was just ACTING like an old S.O.B.

Isn't 35 a little young to be turning "old?"

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I don't know. I turned 30 a few weeks back, and immediately every font size became smaller, the TV in the newsroom is further away, and loud noises irritate me more.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

When I couldn't get it up for a fifth go-round in one night. Man, that was depressing. And I'm only 33 for God's sake.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Taking a nap in a chair isn't a sign of old, it's a sign of "I'm an adult and I'll take a nap if I want to."

Telling a kid to turn down his music? Well, if you were hearing it loud and clear, then it was rude. You were just being mature and encouraging good manners.

And you have a brother 21 years younger than you? Wow.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Sprained ankle in a mosh pit a few years back.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

if it was 400 years ago you'd be dead

think about it ...

trippy, man

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I grew up listening to Jimmy Buffett sing "Pirate looks at 40." Now I'm a sports writer looking at 40, but I still haven't had my "Damn, I'm getting old" moment.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My best friend has a kid getting ready to start college next fall.

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Oh God. I just thought about it. He's actually 15.
    And Tony, even weirder? He's my only sibling. For 20 years, I was so used to people asking me if I had siblings and saying no. It took me a couple of years to instinctively say yes to that question.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I felt "old" when Becker won Wimbledon and that little shit was younger than me.
    When the Miss Americas/Playmates are younger than you (it really changes the dynamic).
    Cops and doctors are younger than you.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I was talking with a teen who has no memory of the Braves truly sucking dogshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted