1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your daily Pacific Rim earthquake is in ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Re: 7.9 earthquake off American Samoa (UPDATE: again, 6.9 at Sumatra Island)

Matt Tuiasosopo of the Mariners finally located his grandpa, who is safe. A couple of homes damaged in his village, but no serious injuries.

Lots of athletes must be in the same boat--direct concerns.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

That's great news for him. Hopefully there will be plenty more good news for the other athletes.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Ummm. I'm already quite concerned. I don't think it's an end-of-the-world type thing, but it is not normal either.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

And I just heard there's another in the 5.9 range? Damn.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

5.5 hit Samoa an hour ago. Jesus. Hope that didn't knock over any buildings that were weakened by the first temblor.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm sure we were. I, on the other hand, am on vacation in Japan, hoping like hell this dies down right quick.

Haven't heard anything from my folks in Jakarta, which I only assume is good. Hopefully all I'll have to deal with when I get back is sweeping up paint chips.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like aftershocks, which can be bad in themselves. The tsunami in the Samoas sounded bad, but I'm afraid the Indonesian quake will be much worse.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Death toll from the Sumatra quake so far: 531.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091001/ap_on_re_as/as_indonesia_earthquake

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Nice to hear from you, Trooper. Hope all is well when you get back.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Just the gods letting us know every now and then who's in charge, and just how insignificant we are.

Scary stuff in any event. Death toll's over 1,100 in Indonesia now. Good to hear from you, Troop.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Apparently there has been a swarm of smaller quakes around Lone Pine, California. USGS says don't worry - but I lived in the state in 1989.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Still firing out there ... this dropped five minutes ago.<blockquote>@BreakingNews A strong 6.3-magnitude earthquake has hit near Tonga and Samoa in the South Pacific. No tsunami warning issued.</blockquote>Can we start acting concerned yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted