1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Christmas wish

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Sitting in the wonderful world that is O'Hare airport.... on Itinerary number 5. This time, it's a confirmed seat on a flight that appears to be ready to leave here in three hours.

Instead of having Mom drive 45 minutes to pick me up, however... I now have to rent a car and drive 2.5 hours, then we'll return the car tomorrow on our way to visit my brother's family...

If I get to Arkansas, then Joplin for the visit with family, then back home on Monday... I'll have received my Christmas wish.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Congrats, Ashy!

And Matt, Arkansas and Joplin aren't Christmas wishes...

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Isn't it in poor taste to have a kid at Christmas?

Who the hell has a kid — in traditional fashion (i.e. not adopting) — a week before Christmas?

Don't these two realize all the other shit people have going on in their lives at this time of year?

I mean, first, there's money. It's another gift, another night wasted having to go visit the crying rugrat and help out the new parents, etc. etc. all before "the big holiday."

And then there's juggling family get-togethers. The wife and I both have a set of parents who want to see their granddaughter as much as possible this time of year. And now somebody else's granddaughter is stealing the spotlight.

This birth is just one more thing we have to juggle. It's become an inconvenience.

And I know, I know, there will be people who say "shut up and congratulate them."

[/crossthread]

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Slappy, you are right... but being with family is... and that's how it will happen.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

congrats, ashy! great news!

my own encouraging news: for the first time since early november, i was able to use my walker to get from our bedroom to the living room this morning to open presents with the family! then walkered to the dining room to for breakfast! and will try to get into the shower stall for the first time in weeks soon, too! i've been wheelchair/bed-ridden for about six weeks. fingers crossed that it's no fluke.

a christmas miracle of my own? who am i to argue? mrs. shockey says i should convert immediately....

hope everyone's christmas is equally as spirits-lifting.... :D :D :D

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I wish that my future father-in-law would change the channel from the MLB network.
    It's not even baseball season.

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Great to hear Shockey!

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If there was a Braves game from 1978 on, mine would be watching it too...

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Ashy. No taking the kid to Fenway on New Year's Day ... wait at least until the Sawx start playing again, eh? :D

BTE, still laughing ...

And what Inky said ...

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wonderful news, Ashy. Congratulations.

That'd be nice, wouldn't it?

Hang in there, 'du. When you find her (or when she finds you), she'll have been well worth the wait and all the crap you went through to get to her.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

As for my wish, I just want continued good health for me and my family, continued opportunities to do that writing thing that I enjoy so much, and strong book sales once the damn thing finally gets published next August.

Oh yeah. And love. :)

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Heath and happiness for my family.

For me? I'd like an iPod Touch and a non-newspaper job.

Draft saved Draft deleted