1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your childhood sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

How that evolved into hams and cheeses is anybody's guess. :D

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

All this talk of grape jelly saddens me. The perfect PBJ includes the following: crunchy peanut butter, strawberry jelly/jam, icy cold milk (white or chocolate) and some Cheez-Its. The best jam is the homemade stuff my aunt mary makes... if she still makes it.

Other favorites include turkey & cheddar... salami & cheddar and ham salad. I haven't had ham salad in ages.

3. Mira

Mira Member

Baloney on Mrs. Karl's white bread with yellow mustard.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I can't think of how many years in a row I made myself ham and cheese sandwiches almost every day for lunch.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

PB & onions (very thinly sliced) is pretty good.

6. OUTING ALERT: Red Canuck is Jim Halpert...

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Um, we didn't always have butter. :-\

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The best ham sandwiches are made with white American chesse and baked in the oven, wrapped in foil. That's some tasty eats.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Mama's hot brown sandwich

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Sorry - wasn't making fun. I guess I was wrapping my mind around the toaster vs. the pan moreso than the importance of the butter. My bad.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Second the selection of a Kentucky Hot Brown. Oh, man, I can still taste 'em just the way my mom made 'em. Outstanding stuff.

I once grossed out a classmate in second grade with my modified Elvis: PB, banana and a little Hershey's syrup (which made it a big mess, but tasted great) on white bread. He'd never seen it before; he puked right after we left the cafeteria. :D

Got a lot of PB&J's (with mini-pretzels on the side) in the summer, and a lot of grilled cheese and tomato soups in the winter after school. Those were my staples as a kid. I like to add some ham and a slice of fresh tomato to my grilled cheeses now.

Nothing beats a ham and turkey sandwich with a slice of cheese and tomato. Lettuce or bacon, too, if I got it, but I usually don't.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with a classic PB&J, but mine had to have strawberry jelly. I couldn't stand anything else on my PB&J.

A few years ago when I worked at a restaurant was this chicken/grilled cheese sandwich a coworker came up with. I believe it was a chicken breast with three cheeses (colby, swiss and pepper jack), with tomatoes, bacon, spices and lettuce on our special buns (the restaurant made their own buns fresh everyday). Talk about some good eatin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted