1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your childhood sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don't have a childhood sandwich (can you believe I've never had PB&J and didn't have grilled cheese until I was 10?), but my teenage sandwich was rare roast beef with salt on a roll from the Italian deli down the street from my house. When the owner sold, they stopped making their roast beef in-house and in the last 20+ years, I don't think I've ever had a roast beef sandwich as delicious as those were.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Two slices of bread, two slices of cheese and mustard was my favorite sandwich as a kid. Didn't have anything against meat, I just like my cheese sandwiches.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Peanut butter and jelly, hands down. Today, however, I'm going to try something new: tuna and cheese on a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel. We'll see if this is worth the trouble.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Bologna, cheese, lettuce, ketchup, mustard.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Whenever to 3rd grade: Cheap white bread, smooth peanut butter and strawberry jam (preferably, grandma's homemade kind).
    From 3rd grade on: Sourdough. Lots of mayo, some yellow mustard, lettuce, a little onion, cheddar cheese and ham.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

This is weird but as a child, I didn't get sandwiches for lunch and/or dinner. My lunches were tres cool.
    I only started eating actual sandwiches when I went to university.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

PB and J on moist, fresh white bread. ... chunky peanut butter spread on both pieces of bread. Then, a spoonful or so of grape jelly spread on each side.

And I was a nut with pancakes when I was a kid. I'd stack them uniformly (usually four) and spread peanut butter on each. I'd then cut each way three times making approximately 16 pieces of pancake, and I'd eat around the edges and work my way toward the middle.

And, no, I'm not obsessive compulsive. Just love a good pancake ritual.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nowadays, I make a mean tuna melt. Miracle whip mixed with tuna, pepperjack cheese on sourdough, cook on George Foreman grill until cheese melts.
    Great for late nights after drinking.

9. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

Wonder bread, slice of bologna, Kraft singles, mayo. And then, shortly thereafter, a diabetic coma.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Right now, it's honey wheat sara lee bread with two pieces of cheese in our stuffed sandwhich maker...It's FANTASTIC..

When I was little, it was either a turkey sammich or peanut butter and banana.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My dad made something called "The Famous" - toasted bread spread with peanut butter (which melted a little) and a thin square of butter on each of the four corners and in the center.

A tip for grilled cheese: instead of trying to butter both sides of the bread, invest in the new spray butter, hold the bread up by the corner and blast away at both sides. Quick and easy.

(And the best grilled cheese has two kinds of cheese, tomato, red onion and thinly sliced green apples.)

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I've never buttered the inside of the bread for a grilled cheese..just the outside.

Draft saved Draft deleted