1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your childhood sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. da el g

da el g Member

Stan's pimiento cheese on white bread

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Manwich. Every time when I was a kid, onto high school and then college, when my dad had to cook lunch or dinner it was Manwich with a can or two of what was usually corn.
    If we were lucky, he'd fire up the frydaddy and we'd get french fries. Special occasions or when they were on sale, tater tots.
    With kool-aid to drink. Sugary, sugary kool-aid.

3. ham & cheese or a grilled cheese w/tomato....

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

PBJ. When I was a child, it was grape jelly. Now, I use blackberry or (when I'm lucky enough to acquire some) huckleberry jam.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I probably had a PB&J every day at lunch from grades K-4 or so...

Now, they're banned from a lot of day care places and elementary schools...

I think if I sent one of my kids to day care with a switchblade and the other with a peanut butter sandwich, they would freak out more over the peanut butter...

6. Mizzougrad96

I must admit that it doesn't get better than a grilled cheese sandwich when made properly...

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I almost agree with you.
    But some people really eff it up by adding tomatoes, onions and other stuff to a grilled cheese.
    Gotta gowith just bread and cheese.

8. Mizzougrad96

About a decade ago I went to Buckhead Diner in Atlanta and the regulars I was with were all ordering the grilled cheese. It was 3 in the morning or so, and I was pretty loaded, so I ordered the same thing...

Best sandwich I've ever had... I asked the waitress what they did differently to the grilled cheese and she said they put a very, very thin layer of mayo down to make the cheese more creamy... It sounded strange to me, but it works...

Putting a tomato on a grilled cheese is a travesty...

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Three modifications of classics that I still make for comfort food:

Grilled cheese with tomato. Perfection. Fuck anybody who says otherwise.

BLOT. A BLT plus paper-thin slices of red onion. Just made them this weekend.

Or a bacon, cheddar and Granny Smith apple sandwich. Fantastic.

Oh, and from my summers at my grandparents, split hot dogs, pan fried and served on toast with Miracle Whip and mustard.

And corned beef. A Rueben, if done correctly, is still my all-time favorite. Dear God, if you live somewhere where you can get good corned beef, know how lucky you are and eat it often.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Slightly off-topic:

mustardwife (a Yankee) was making the mustardgirl her first PBJ a year or so ago. But she was using something in a red jar. Turned out to be Smuckers strawberry jelly. This led to a huge discussion about what goes on a PBJ. I insisted it could only be grape, while she swore that strawberry was the correct choice. So I went to work and polled the entire department (at least the people who were there), which broke down as follows:

Southerner: grape
    Yankee: Strawberry
    Yankee: Raspberry
    Yankee: Blackberry

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Tissue-paper thin.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Cold - Tuna on wheat, lettuce, tomato, swiss

Hot - BLT or grilled cheese with ham/bacon, pickles and mayo. Mmmm.

Draft saved Draft deleted