1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your childhood sandwich?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2007.

1. I'm sitting at my local lunch counter, enjoying my club sandwich yesterday, when an old man sidles up beside me and orders a grilled cheese.
    When the grilled cheese sandwich came, you would have thought they delivered this man a Fillet Mignon wrapped in bacon on a gold plate - he treated it with such renown.
    That old guy, a friendly fellow, savored each bite. He chewed deliberately, making sure to enjoy every morsel.
    Watching the joy this man got from a sandwich got me thinking:
    First, about the Seinfeld episode in which George tried to combine sex, food and television.
    Second, about my first love for a sandwich: That faithful old Peanut Butter and Jelly.
    I ate PB&J everyday for lunch from the age of 2 up until I went to school. Seldom was there an exception. I was hooked.
    My oldest son is a dedicated grilled cheese man.
    My baby sister was loyal to cheese and mayo sandwich as a child.

How about the SportsJournalists.com nation? What was your go-to sandwich as a child?
    The one item of food that as a kid, you could not live without?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Elvis-inspired: Peanut butter and banana.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Love the PB&J. Great for snacking, breakfast, eating on the road, wherever. And it has to have grape jelly.

PB and banana is good, sans J.

One of my faves from my youth was sliced roast beef my mother made on white bread with mustard and lettuce. Add a bit of au jus and it becomes sloppy, but still delicious.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I, too, ate PB&J almost every day for lunch all through elementary school... that and a heaping pile of mac and cheese. If I was lucky, it was the spiral macaroni...

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hebrew National salami (lots of slices, lots) with sharp cheddar cheese and lots of French's mustard on some kind of quality bread. Makes me want one right now.

6. Cream cheese and grape jelly.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

PB&J (grape jelly only). White or wheat, I didn't care. Chips, a fruit and dessert. At least most of that changed, but almost every day for lunch, it was PB&J. Once when I was in third or fourth grade, my mom put a ham and cheese in my lunchbox. I remember how pissed I got.

8. Songbird

Hate PB&J. Have had one in my life, when I was 5 or 6, and not since. And the thing is, I love peanuts. Something about peanut butter though makes me illified.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

peanut butter and potato chips on white bread, washed down by a tall glass of milk. There's nothing better.

10. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

As a kid, PB&J, with my bag of chips added into the middle once I got to the cafeteria.
    In high school, hot pastrami (I lived near school, and used to go home for lunch so always made to order).
    But still now, even in my 30s, (and I have mentioned this a few times in my few posts) the greatest sandwich ever is the roast beef grinder (with no onions, personally) from the House of Pizza on Division St.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Growing up - for lunch: peanut butter on white bread.
    Growing up - for dinner: roast beef on a kaiser roll, swiss cheese, lots of garlic salt and toasted

12. Songbird

The greatest sandwich ever made comes from Alldays and Onions in Bennington, Vermont, called "The Neal" — hot pastrami with cheese tortellini and melted cheese. It is UN-BE-LIEV-A-BLE!

Draft saved Draft deleted