1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your CD collection

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2010.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Let's see, my CD collection ranges from Eminem and Shaq to Neil Diamond and Air Supply with some Alan Jackson, Big and Rich, Carrie Underwood-Fisher and Sugarland mixed in. Also highly valued in my collection is Darius Rucker - with Hootie and the Blowfish and without.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've ripped them all as 256s, but I'm fearful if I get rid of them all that the opportunity will soon arise to rip them as 512s or 1024s or some such.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I have a sizable CD collection [2,000+ titles] and have no plans to get rid of it. I still have several hundred albums on vinyl and a bunch of 7-inch singles. I still buy music on CD and vinyl. I don't think I've spent more than $20 buying mp3s.

As far as ripping stuff...I do it to make mix CDs for friends or to put a few tunes on my phone. I'm all about FLAC.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't rush me. Last time I moved, I shed my cassettes (all but about 20 mix tapes). One defunct technology at a time.

Haven't had an 8-track tape in a good 20 years, so I'll get there.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The car's got a CD player, so yup, all 100 or so are still here and accounted for.

I just drove cross-country with my girlfriend, and she was not too keen on the fact that I had no way to play mp3s in my car. By the time we were done, she had rediscovered a lot of music she forgot she'd owned on CD.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Have 300 or so CDs that still get played and about the same amount in vinyl. No Ipod, but at least no victrola either. (Get off my lawn....)

Have some things on vinyl I wouldn't buy anymore, but still like to hear--Godfathers and Divinyls come to mind. Also some obscure stuff you probably can't even find to download--a mid 80s band named Broken Homes for example.

Will periodically take a beautiful sunny day, add in ample quantities of beer, and play DJ spinning tunes from various vinyls blared out on the deck to share with the neighborhood.

And I'll echo the comment earlier about album art. We're probably not far from the day where album covers show up as museum exhibits celebrated like lost artifacts from an ancient society.

Now where is that Led Zeppelin III album?

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I still have my CD collection, even though I've downloaded all the tracks to a portable hard drive. I also have a huge case of cassettes.

I have a CD player (which will read mp3 CDs) in my car which I use frequently, and both a (barely functional) CD player and tape deck on my home stereo.

I can't remember the last time I played a cassette though... aside from interview transcription. Those will probably go whenever I move. I suspect I'll keep the CDs though.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have more than 2,000 CDs in my home office. Thanks to this place...

[​IMG]

...I've bought more in the past year or so than I had in the previous 10.

God bless Amoeba Records!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Then you may be familiar with this.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/28431/201795

Great record stores - past and present - may make an awesome thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

I've probably still got 100 or so CDs. Probably buy a handful per year now ... way down from what it used to be. If it's a band I really like, I want the physical CD. Otherwise, I can still buy CDs at Target or Best Buy for $9 or $10, rip it and then sell it for $3 - so I still get it cheaper than if I had bought it on iTunes.

I unloaded half my CD collection when I got my first iPod in 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted