1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your CD collection

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Flash

Flash Member

Have you ditched it yet?

Are you hanging onto for some reason? Is it sentimental?

I don't even own a CD player anymore - except for the one in my truck - but I can't seem to let go.

And why haven't I gotten to 500 posts yet? ;D

YGBFKM Guest

I don't own an Ianything, so I have no other choice. But I still get the urge to throw them all away and just start from scratch. No idea why.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

No Ianything here, either. Still have the CDs - at least those I haven't traded in because they were either dumb purchases or didn't age well.

The technology has advanced, but mp3/Ipod is still compressing too much audio and still compromises the sound far too much for my liking. The technology will probably get there and has come a long way from just 6-7 years ago, but it's not there. Yet.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Still have it. Still adding to it. It's a bitch to find CDs these days at stores, however. I love to look over the collection. Each one is a memory. And when I get a new one, I lovingly find its place in alphabetical order and place it into the mix. The ritual has been going on for a very long time.

I find it so sad that the two raging loves of my life - with newspapers and with compact discs - have been extinguished so soon into my time on earth.

Recent purchases include the new Arcade Fire and Morning Benders discs.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Still have thousands, but they're piled up on bookshelves in bedrooms. I only dig them out if there's something I want to load onto the computer.

The only things I buy on physical CD anymore are semi-obscure bands I'll buy directly from the artist or CDs that are either dirt cheap used or unavailable in digital format. Just got an old CD by The Call in the mail this week.
  6. Flash

Flash Member

I have a plastic bin sitting in my storage room. It's jammed with CDs. I keep thinking it would be easier to just let them go, then I try to go through them and see if there are any I really really really want to keep.

It turns out to be all of them.
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have about 500 CDs collecting dust in a rack in the bedroom. I don't listen to the actual physical (PLAY MAGIC!!!) CD, but I don't want to part with them either. Like Dick, I find each CD has a memory. And I too am anal about alphabetizing them and enjoy finding a spot for a new CD.

Plus they serve as a reminder of why I was in debt from 1993-2009.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Get rid of my CDs? Hell, I still occasionally played casette tapes in my car...until it burned up.
  9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Converted most of my CDs to mp3s. Sold about half of CDs and banked some decent cash. Really only plan to keep my favorites and/or rare valuable CDs.

I won't buy CDs from stores anymore. Last dozen or so CD purchases were directly from bands at shows or from mail order outlets which specialize in rare or out of print tunes.
  10. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

With the exception of those instant classic Gaga discs, of course.
  11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I bought two CDs this week alone and don't plan on getting rid of my collection anytime soon. That being said, it's only because I haven't hooked an IPod jack into my car yet because I'm cheap/lazy. I have about 20/30 discs in my car that I'll plop in when either A.) I want to hear a particular song from one of those CDs or B.) Stern is on commercial on Sirius.

I've got the vast majority of my music on my iPod though and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

After all the effort I put into scamming Columbia House, I'm keeping them.
Draft saved Draft deleted