1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your boss is afraid to talk to you

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

As are most people.

But, yes, this doesn't surprise me. It's hard to get some to even make eye contact when you pass in the newsroom.

The delegation of communication.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They're certainly not afraid to send "IMPORTANT: Read this. Changes to . . . " emails.

I have information overload on all the important/readthis/changesto things I'm supposed to be aware of.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That's a bad head ... "scared to talk" is not at all the same thing as "uncomfortable."

I'm uncomfortable telling a student there's no way on God's green earth he or she is going to pass my class. But I'm not scared to tell him or her that.

Hermes, YankeeFan and sgreenwell like this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The last two bosses I had would wait till the yearly reviews to share issues, and this was after compensation bonuses had been determined. That pissed me off. Boss I have now almost talks to me too much. He’s a Chatty Cathy and has a penchant for putting his foot in his mouth. But I prefer that to the alternative.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

We're always told that newsrooms used to be these raucous, crazy places, with larger-than-life characters either constantly cracking wise or screaming at each other.

Than again, most reporters were also supposed to be half in the bag after "lunch," so that might be true.

Draft saved Draft deleted