1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your birthday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

April 24

my birthday is Genocide Remembrance day in Armenia. Always a party.

also of interest to our industry. . . 1704 – The first regular newspaper in the United States, the News-Letter, is published in Boston, Massachusetts.

My birthday also seems to be a haven for baseball players, Omar Vizquel, Chipper Jones, Todd Jones and Carlos Beltran

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

June 19

The event that always jumps out at me is Len Bias' death the day I turned 18.

Further research showed it's also Juneteeth, when the final slaves were finally informed of their freedom in 1865, and 19 years before that was the first organized baseball game in Hoboken, N.J.

My favorite birthday twin is Lou Gehrig.

Also a few actresses: Gena Rowlands, Robin Tunny, Poppy Montgomery, Kathleen Turner, Zoe Saldana, Phylicia Rashad, Mia Sara among others; Ann Wilson and Paula Abdul from the music world; Wahoo McDaniel, Dirk Nowitzki, Shirley Muldowney, Quentin Jammer from sports.

Outside of Bias, not too many I'm familiar died on the date, though Manute Bol was one. And Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed on that date.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

That's the first thing I thought when I saw June 19.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm hoping for Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Now that's funny.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oct. 2 ...

Mahatma Ghandi

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

nope

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jerry Garcia also died on this date.

I remember this because it's also my oldest brother's birthday, and he's a huge Dead/Jerry fan.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Tease.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Drip? old_tony?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No. But I am sure my birthday co-celebrant blows his candles out The Right Way.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

June 4

People of note born on my birthday: Socrates, Xavier McDaniel, Andrea Jaeger, Ruth Westheimer, Bruce Dern, Angelina Jolie, Dennis Weaver and Noah Wylie.

People of note who died on my birthday: Giacomo Casanova, Ayatollah Khomeini and John Wooden.

Significant events on my birthday:

In 1919, tThe women's suffrage bill was passed by the U.S Senate.

In 1939. the SS St. Louis, a ship carrying 963 Jewish refugees, is denied permission to land in Florida, United States, after already having been turned away from Cuba. Forced to return to Europe, most of its passengers later died in Nazi concentration camps.

In 1942, the Battle of Midway began.

Also in 1942, Capitol Record Co. opened for business.

In 1964, the Los Angeles Dodgers' Sandy Koufax threw his 3rd no-hitterm beating the Philadelphia Phillies, 3-0.

In 1974, the Cleveland Indians attempted an ill-advised ten-cent beer promotion for a game against the Texas Rangers at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Cleveland forfeited after alcohol-induced mayhem and violence spread from the stands on to the field.

In 1984, Bruce Springsteen released "Born in the USA."

In 1989, the Tiananmen Square protests ended violently in the Chinese capital city of Beijing with People's Liberation Army soldiers and tanks, killing hundreds.

In 1990, Los Angeles Dodger Ramon Martinez strikes out 18 against the Atlanta Braves.

Also in 1990, Dr. Jack Kevorkian assisted an Oregon woman in committing suicide, beginning a national debate over the right to die.

In 1998, Terry Nichols was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing.

Draft saved Draft deleted