1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your biggest moment in this profession...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Aug 26, 2007.

1. VJ

VJ Member

Receiving random praise on a job thread. :eek:

2. Xan -- Now THAT's a fucking accomplishment. I couldn't even imagine that...
    Mizzou -- That's pretty damn sick too
    Jmac-- You're the man

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And Superfly, don't let the bigwigs of the biz Rowdy Roddy Piper you with a coconut to the head. You're in the big leagues now. Swing for the fences and don't be afraid to strike out. Echoing jgmacg, mazel tov.

4. LOL Xan, I had my old Rabbi pray for me, so I think that's what pushed me over the top. Thanks bud

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the power of a Rabbi.

To that end, when I went to the Hebrew Academy Lubavitch in the 4th and 5th grade (oy, the memories ... ), but anyway, the Orthdox Rabbis were some of the strongest men I'd ever seen. There were a few displays of insanity, like when one Rabbi balanced a 25-foot ladder in his mouth. One of those images I don't think I'll ever forget.

My Rabbi got uber-mad at me during my bar mitzvah when I touched the Torah parchment with my fingers during the portion I read. Good times.

6. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Congratulations, Snuka. I have read some of your articles through the Writer's Workshop, and you really put forth the effort. Great job, good luck and knock 'em dead!

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Congratulations, SS!

Biggest moments - first, six weeks after starting at current metro and opening the Sunday paper to see a story I invested mucho time and energy into as the centerpiece. It was, arguably, one of the stories I had always want to write.

Second, making a high-ranking team official stammer and grasp for words as he tried to answer a question he knew may incriminate him. Watching him get exasperated, I just thought, "Yes!"

8. LOL Cougar...that does feel good. Well, except when it's with Brett Myers...

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

1B: When I got an actual job offer as a college senior, despite rather modest credentials.

1A: My first day at work after accepting the job. Without those two, the rest probably doesn't happen.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

My two bylines in the country's biggest paper.

11. USW

USW New Member

Third day on the job full time on news side after a couple of years PT in sports and a big storm hits the city. We got a call that a tree fell on a car and with five reporters in the room the editor points to me and tells me to get out there. Turns out that the car was moving at the time that the tree fell on it and the 16-year-old girl driving (released from the ER later that night with minor cuts and bruises) was the daughter of one of the GMs for a team I covered in sports. I'll never forget that day.

The second was probably the morning that all five stories on A-1 have my byline on them.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Was one pseudonymous? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted