1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your best sports memory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Mar 29, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Watching the Bruins with my dad on our little black and white TV in the kitchen. That's how we saw the flying goal.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another great one from LSU football was the 2003 game against Georgia.
    It was late September, and a slobberknocker of a game in Tiger Stadium. Loud, awesome crowd and the works. LSU won 17-10 on a touchdown pass in the last couple of minutes. One of those rare games that, as a fan, you really felt like you played a part in the outcome because of the energy and intensity of the crowd from start to finish.
    What made it special, though, was when Georgia scored on a 90-yard screen pass in the fourth quarter to tie it at 10. It was the kind of thing that had defined a lot of LSU teams of the late 90s, where they'd play a good team tough in a big game, then find a way to gack it away. This time, I had this weird calm come over me and I just said to myself, "We've got this."
    It wasn't confidence that they'd score and win the game, it was certainty like I've never felt before or since. And, sure enough, they did.
    It was even more than that game, though. In that one moment I could see that it was going to be all right for the rest of the season. That they were going to have not just a great season, but the best season. I remember telling a co-worker that week about that moment, and stating definitively that LSU would win the national championship (a statement that looked stupid when they got their ass kicked by Florida the following week, but regained traction after that).
    It's about as close to a religious experience as I might have ever had at a sporting event.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I covered LMU, I begged to go to that game, but it would have been an expensive trip and the bosses said no. Gathers, at 6-foot-7, had 48 points and 13 rebounds against Shaq and Stanley Roberts. Chris Jackson scored 34 and said it was the funnest game he ever played in. LMU would have won if Terrell Lowery, a 90 percent free-throw shooter, hadn't missed one at the end of regulation.

I didn't include this on my original list because I wasn't there. I personally saw all five I listed at the top of this thread.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Saw the Twins pull a TP vs. Yankees at the Stadium in the 80s. I'd forgotten.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My three favorites are all Steelers related (no surprise there). I was trying to think of one for the Penguins, but the clinching game when they won their first Stanley Cup May 25, 1991 was such a blowout (8-0) that the end almost seemed to be anti-climactic.

Super Bowl XL on Feb. 5, 2006 because it was the Steelers' first championship game that I got to really experience as a deeply-invested fan. I was alive for the four Super Bowls in the '70s, but I was only seven when they won the last of them. What I really knew as a fan was decades of coming up just short before Pittsburgh's win over Seattle. I couldn't have cared less about the Bettis going home narrative, but I did love seeing Bill Cowher finally get one.

Super Bowl XLIII is a fonder memory for me for a few reasons. One is it was a better game, probably among the top 10 in pure entertainment value. It featured two of the best individual plays in Super Bowl history. I think I'm going to have to watch that one again. :)

This one.

Then this one.

The latter was so good that even my wife admitted that she cheered. She doesn't really like sports. She just flipped on the game to see how it was going and find out how long it would be before I got home, but she found herself cheering them on the last few minutes of the game. She had stayed home with our young daughter while I went to a buddy's Super Bowl party. That made it interesting because I watched the game with a group of guys who were all rooting against the Steelers. One was a Cardinals fan. The rest just didn't like the Steelers.

The third is special just because I was there for it. The one time the Browns made the playoffs since they got their expansion team they had to go to Pittsburgh. Of course, being the Browns, they built a big lead only to blow it. I thoroughly enjoyed being part of the festivities in Heinz Field that day.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We had season tickets at this point. I was at this game. Lakers opened on a 29-0 run.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It’s not the favorite but I got to see the greatness of MJ in 1996 when he made his yearly trip to Oak ( but was in SJ because of construction); it was Rodman,a full circus. Ws stunk, but there was Spreewell, former All-NBA. So even though it’s like 60-25 in 2nd QTR, I’m watching MJ closely and he is hounding Spreewell like it’s GM 7 in Finals because MJ wants everyone to know Spreewell is that much farther below him. To try that hard in a game that means very little where you’re already killing them? I’ll never forget it.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I saw Jordan at the Knicks rookie year, from the old blue seats at MSG. He went for 48 and lost as Bernard King got 46.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. I was right there hollering my ass off.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My favorite nondescript sports moment came at a Clippers game in the LA Sports Arena in the early 80s. I don't remember who they were playing, but I went with my brother's friend, who was a big time bettor. He had the Clippers and five points and they were down seven in the closing seconds when a player seemingly for no reason took one step back and sunk a three, covering the spread.

The friend went crazy and all the fans around us looked at him like he was insane getting so excited about a meaningless basket in another Clippers' loss.

dixiehack and maumann like this.
  11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

These clues aren’t making it obvious to me. You’re an Oregon State alum who roots for the Braves and Chiefs?

maumann likes this.
  12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted