1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your best sports memory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He had to go see about a girl.

matt_garth likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Two things
    1) Game 7 of the 2014 World Series. What Bumgarner did was magical.

2) 2016 Stanley Cup Game 6. Now hear me out. I was among the myriad of media who covered the game. After the game, went to the Sharks locker room and after a somber set of interviews, Cuba Gooding Jr came in to see the players. Then tried to make my way to the Penguins lockroom and got lost. Ended up at a door where a bunch of people were trying to get through but were getting held up by security trying to limit how many got in at any one time. They were piiiiiiised. And it got even better when my credentials let me through. Almost had to run through for my own safety. Once through the door, realized I should have taken a left at Albuquerque but it was better I didn't. Ended up walking on the ice at the Shark Tank with the players mulling about. Got some interviews and took a couple of pictures and had a media relations guy chase me away from Crosby. And the whole time I was with this smoking hot 20 something who got posted near my assigned seat during the finals run. If I wasn't married, there might have been an awkward "sorry, you seem really nice but..." conversation. Even then...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This was pretty easy for me. My dad and I took a trip to Chicago for a week. Pretty sure it is the last time he went anywhere that long without my mom since before they were married, or since that trip. Anyway, we hit a few bars and museums, but the meat of the trip was baseball. One game at Comiskey and two at Wrigley. We sat in the left field bleachers on the first day and were just hanging out while the Rockies were taking BP, my dad is chatting up everyone around us like he tends to do when all of the sudden Todd Helton connects and it's heading our way, I pulled off my just purchased Cubs hat and caught it in the hat. Now, I've always sworn that if I could just catch a foul ball or a home fun I'd give it to a kid - but there was no way I was handing this one over. I still have it on a shelf. But I'm so glad we took that trip when we did. He doesn't get around so good as much anymore. We went to one last Raiders game at the Coliseum last fall with a buddy of mine - a place he took me as a kid many times and our seats were in the endzone second deck on the opposite end of the Black Hole, just above where my folks had season tickets for years during the Raiders first tenure in Oakland.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Group of people over at the house, but no bigger Royals fans there than me and one of my best friends.
    Midway through the game, we looked at each other and said "These sons of bitches are gonna win the World Series."
    Sure enough.

5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Bears over Cardinals, 24-23 — MNF, Oct. 16, 2006.

Best NFL game I’ve ever seen, and my team won.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

2003 Big 12 Championship, K-State vs. OU.

I was covering the game for the K-State paper and my family was there in the stands. We went from the press box down to the field at the standard time, five minutes to go in the fourth quarter or whenever, and I managed to find my family in the stands. I think so many OU people had cleared out and all the K-Staters moved down toward the bottom, so they were just a few rows off the field.

My parents didn't have any kind of absurd streak of sitting in the stadium through the horrible 0-11 seasons, but bought season tickets before Bill Snyder's first year and we as a family were there for that whole ride, bowl games, etc. K-State football was certainly a defining part of our family when I grew up, and is to this day.

Anyway, I didn't go up into the stands or anything that night, but I just remember how happy my dad looked. He's been great at weddings. He loves his grandchildren, but I don't think I've ever seen him happier in one moment than he was that night. I'll never forget it.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Miracle on Ice

Game 7 of the 2002 World Series. The Angels have not been able to get out of their own way for most of their existence, but when I die I can at least say "By God, I got to see my team win the World Series!"
    Actually, you can add the last two and a half innings of Game 6 also.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the Angels win ranks right up there for me as well.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And at that point, Giants fans were like, "We're never going to win one of this things!"

2010. 2012. 2014.

Weird how that works sometimes.

HanSenSE, Batman and Sea Bass like this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

LSU 148, LMU 141 (ot) - Loyola Marymount University Athletics

My parents went to 5:00 mass on Saturdays which meant that I went to 5:00 mass on Saturdays. I missed a lot of second halves during the NCAA season. I begged to stay home to finish watching this game and my father (who did not follow or like sports at all) convinced my mother to let me stay home to finish watching. I have no idea why he was suddenly cool with it, but I'm so glad he was. It was awesome. Home alone, watching a basketball game unlike any I'd ever seen before. The first time I'd ever gotten out of church, too. Turns out that was a slippery slope...

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And yet being reminded of 2002 still makes me want to kick something

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  12. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

- 1995 World Series Game Six
    - 2001 Fiesta Bowl
    -2006, 2007, 2018 CWS
    - This year's Super Bowl (Go Chiefs)

Also, I probably just outed myself. I'll blame it on the pandemic.

Draft saved Draft deleted