1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your best sports memory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Mar 29, 2020.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I know we’ve done this thread before, but with so many classic games being shown, it’s time again. What sporting moment can you watch over and over and still get a thrill?

For me it’s the Kirk Gibson home run in the 88 World Series. I just watched it again and let out a whoop from my couch as if it was the first time I’ve seen it.

maumann likes this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stanley Cup Final 2018, Game 5

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Super Bowl XXXII, Jan. 25, 1998

Roscablo likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"And the national champion is clad in Big Orange."

Runner-up (just for Starman):

[​IMG]

Actual sports memory from those Olympics that still gives me chills (gave the announcer chills, too):

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Colts coming from 18 points down to beat the Patriots in the 2006 AFC championship game. Bonus: three lineman scored touchdowns.

playthrough and garrow like this.
  6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Mine too. It was honestly one of my greatest days, which may be considered sad but to this Broncos diehard it just was. As a Broncos fan, just never thought it would happen. Not after those games before (I am young enough I don't remember XII but was around for it). They were so bad. Still in the midst of the NFC streak. Powerful Packers and all that just added to it. To have two more on top of it is fantastic and any more that come will be awesome, but that day was amazing!

MileHigh likes this.
  7. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Game 6 of 1991 World Series.
    I went to a restaurant/bar/pickup joint to watch the game with a friend, it was near his house so we walked there. It was packed with University of Calgary crowd, some v attractive females. I’m a lifelong Twins fan and was a kid in Winnipeg when they moved to Minnesota.
    The game starts and my buddy and I were among the very few people watching it. All of a sudden I realized everyone was now watching the game and getting crazy. When Kirby hit the homer the lid blew off the place. By this time there was a lineup out the door and we were packed inside like sardines. Definitely over the occupancy limit. A wild scene with everybody hugging, kissing, high fiveing and getting completely drunk. Unforgettable.

garrow likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All of that. I remember balling my eyes out as an 8-year-old for XII. I'm pretty sure nothing will be able to top XXXII. An unreal game and to finally get it and what it meant as a lifelong fan as well as our family .... pretty damn special.

Roscablo likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Game Five, 1980 NLCS. Phillies over Astros. The World Series win was icing on the cake. This was the game that convinced fan me that the Phils weren't necessarily always doomed. Coming back from five runs down against Nolan Ryan? That shit doesn't happen. Also a damn great game if you were a neutral.
    That's as a fan. As a writer, I'd have to say Super Bowl XXXVI. I remember walking out with the other Boston and New England writers, particularly my old comrades among the beat guys of the late '80s and early '90s, and we were all just in disbelieving wonder. The Patriots had won the Super Bowl. I don't think any of us really believed we'd ever write that story. It wasn't joy, just a sense of cosmic surprise.

BTExpress likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I love Lamey's call on the Saturday touchdown.

"He fumbled the freakin' football . . . touchdown!!!"

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have better sports memories than this. ... but it came up recently.

July 1989. KC Royals vs. Yankees @ Yankee stadium. I am with my cousin Jeff. He has this girl he is crazy about and has this plan to meet up with her really late that night after the game.

Yankees are losing 7-5 at the end of 7 innings. I never have left a ball game early in my life. I always stay till the last out. He wants to go. The girl. He makes me feel bad, I give in, we leave. ...

We get in the car and the exit onto the Major Deegan is like a parking lot. So we are sitting, not moving an inch, listening the game on the radio.

Yankees score one in the 8th to get within two. We've barely moved. Then, in the bottom of the 9th, Don Mattingly and Mel Hall get on. ... And Jesse Barfield hits a walk-off home run. We're barely a quarter of a mile from the stadium, sitting in traffic, and I am cursing him and cursing myself for letting anyone talk me into leaving a game early.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

LMU 149, Michigan 115
    USC 55, Notre Dame 24
    USC 52, Penn State 49
    Miracle on Manchester
    Comeback on Katella

Dammit, I confused this with the "5 things" thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted