1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your all-time favorite baseball team of your lifetime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, May 27, 2017.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

1983 White Sox ... "winnin' ugly." Ron Kittle was a favorite, as was Rudy Law, since I played centerfield in Little League at the time.

It was the first Chicago baseball team to reach the postseason since the 1959 Go-Go Sox. Unfortunately, the 1983 Sox ran into a loaded Baltimore team in the ALCS, then fell apart in 1984 as a certain other team became insanely popular ...

It took awhile, but eventually my No. 2 all-time favorite team came along in 2005!

QYFW likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As a Giants fan, this stretch from 2010 to present has been worth every second I froze my ass off in the bleachers at Candlestick, but if I had to choose one from the three title teams, I think it would be 2012, coming off the deck to win the playoff series vs. Cincinnati (Posey slam) and St. Louis (thank you, Barry f'ing Zito) and most improbable of all, sweeping the Tigers on the strength of Sandoval's three-homer game in the opener. Cripes, Verlander was back in the playoffs next season and dealing again, making the three-homer game even more legendary.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

04 Red Sox.

Personal fave team
    C -- Mauer
    1b-- Hosmer
    2b-- Cano
    Ss-- Jeter
    3b-- Chipper
    Of -- Manny
    Of -- Damon
    Of -- Vlad

Sp -- Pedro, Lester, Halladay, Lincecum, Maddux
    Rp-- Mo.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I always had one pre-1964 (year I was born) and post-1964, but for simplicity's sake:

1B -- Harmon Killebrew
    2B -- Craig Biggio
    3B -- George Brett
    SS -- Ozzie Smith
    OF -- Johnny Damon
    OF -- Amos Otis
    OF -- Robin Yount
    DH -- Paul Molitor
    C -- Salvador Perez (knocked Johnny Bench out of the spot)
    SP -- Nolan Ryan
    SP -- Bret Saberhagen
    SP -- David Cone
    SP -- Zack Greinke
    SP -- Steve Carlton
    S/R -- Dave Dravecky
    RP -- Dan Quisenberry (RIP)
    RP -- Joakim Soria
    Bench -- Mike Sweeney, Frank White, Freddie Patek, Mike Moustakas, Tony Gwynn, Kirby Puckett

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

85 Royals

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In 1980, as a royals fan, I hated this team. They were pesky. By 1981, they were unbearable.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This wasn't me (the night the Rangers finished off Tampa Bay for their first-ever postseason series win) ...

... but it could have been.

Now in our family, when the Rangers win a big one, the proper cheer is "Yes! Rangers! Whoo!"

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I did that thing on Facebook also. Here's my post:

C- Johnny Bench
    1B- Mark McGwire
    2B- Bobby Grich
    SS- Ozzie Smith
    3B- George Brett
    OF- Brian Downing
    OF- Mike Trout
    OF- Tony Gwynn
    RHP- Nolan Ryan
    LHP- Danny Duffy
    CL- Trevor Hoffman
    DH - Tim Salmon
    Honorable mentions: Gary Carter, Wally Joyner, Steve Finley, Chuck Finley, Troy Percival, Reggie Jackson.

Angels are well represented of course, along with a few guys I admired, even if I wasn't always rooting for them.

My favorite single-year team should be obvious: 2002 Angels. It was just surreal, after years of taking a bunch of shit for my rooting interest from Dodger fans and others, to see my team become the toast of the town for a month. It was also great that, with the memories of past playoff teams who would fold up like cheap tents, this was a team that was supposedly done late in Game 6 and they were able to turn it around and be on the other end of a postseason series comeback.
    They haven't been back to that mountaintop again, but if I die tomorrow, at least I'll know what it feels like to see my favorite team win the World Series.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

No love for Luzinski?

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A guy who coached against me when I played Legion eventually worked his way up the scouting ladder to the point where he was the Orioles' regional supervisor. Game 1 of the 1983 ALCS, he got me into the Memorial Stadium press box, before I'd actually covered any MLB. After stuffing ourselves with crab cakes and beer, we had press-box seats for a helluva game: LaMarr Hoyt and the Chisox over Scott McGregor and the Orioles, 2-1.

That was one great day, and Memorial Stadium always felt a little bit different than anyplace else to me in the majors.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I once watched a TV game where someone for the White Sox hit a home run. It landed in a sea of mud under decrepit wooden bleachers that I believe were condemned at Memorial Stadium.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ok: individual old school edition.
    RHP: Mark Gubicza
    RHP: Greg Maddux
    LHP: Charlie Leibrandt
    LHP: Terry Mulholland
    3B: George Brett
    SS: Tony Fernandez
    2B: Ryne Sandberg
    1b: Leon Durham
    RF: Danny Tartabull
    CF: Bobby Dernier
    LF: Gary Matthews
    C: Jody Davis
    DH: Cecil Fielder
    Closer: Dan Quisenberry
    Manager: Dick Howser

Ya think I didn't watch a shit ton of Cubs and Royals games growing up?

Draft saved Draft deleted