1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your A #1 Top Disney World Tip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 31, 2010.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We're going with our 3.5-year-old in January and reading this thread terrifies me. Sounds like the plan for D-Day required less reconnaissance and planning to execute.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not to rain on your parade, but kids that age can be overwhelmed by certain rides -- even the sounds or lights or images shown in line or before the ride. Nothing like waiting in line for Star Tours or something and then having your 3.5 year-old say he doesn't want to get on.

So really take cues from them rather than what you think should be age-appropriate.

It's a great place for kids but can be overwhelming. A lot of times just riding the monorails or boat and seeing the characters is plenty for a super day for kid that age.

(I used to live in Orlando so a "Disney" trip before our kids were 4 would literally be going on the monorails and boats and the Lego store and riding the train at Downtown Disney instead of going into a park. That cost $1 for the train total.)

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

As someone who has been a dozen or so times in the last three years and someone who plans trips for friends and family, I can tell you that it's not as scary as it sounds. If you're going between Jan. 10-15, you should have excellent crowds. It'll get busy again on MLK weekend, then taper off until Mardi Gras/President's Day.

As I said earlier, my No. 1 tip is get to the parks for rope drop. If the park opening time says 9 a.m., plan to get to the front gates by 8:30 a.m. You will get so much accomplished in the first hour of park opening than you will during the mid-day hours of 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Also, don't be afraid to take a break during the middle of the day and head back to the room (especially if you're staying at a Disney hotel) and take a quick nap before heading back around 4 p.m.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We're heading right into the thick of MLK weekend, unfortunately, arriving on the 15th. My brother-in-law is a financial analyst for Disney, so he gets major discounts on everything from hotels, to parks to merchandise, and that was his best availability to meet up with us. In fact, that's part of the reason we're going with the kids so young. We're saving a ton of money and we figure we'll definitely go again when our youngest is older and can enjoy it. Thanks to the BIL, this won't be a once-in-a-lifetime kind of trip like it was for my family when I was kid.

But, yeah, we're staying on Disney property, so we will definitely be heading back to the room for naps.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Do everything in your power to be there, somewhere facing the castle, for the fireworks.

I know it's changed since I was last there, But it was the most spectacular thing I've ever seen. Every hair on my body stood on end.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that if you get a fast pass at, say, 10 am, it might assign you a time range of, maybe, 2:30-3:30. So you'll probably want to go somewhere else. Be wary that you might find yourself a long way from the original ride and have to go all the way back. It doubles the walk.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When we went last March, the rush at Epcot for Soarin' for those people who didn't have Fast Pass was insane. Like the Gold Rush.

Draft saved Draft deleted