1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your A #1 Top Disney World Tip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 31, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

http://www.allears.net/index.html <- Online unofficial guide.

I send families to Disney a lot with a charity I work with, and most of them have small children. By far, the biggest thing they tell me when they come back is that it's better to take a lazy pace and know you're going to miss things than try to hit everything, even if you have several days. There is no way to do everything possible, especially with two little kids, and you will stress out way too much if you try.

At Magic Kingdom, the best area for little kids is Fantasyland and Mickey's ToonTown (or whatever it is now). Fantasyland has all the classic rides - Dumbo (lines!), Teacups, Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White's Scary Adventure. The lines are long and there are a million little kids, but it's also the best small-child friendly area. Mickey's ToonTown has the character meets. Lines can be really long, and there are websites out there that will tell you when the best times are (and smartphone apps, I believe, that do the same thing.

There are character breakfasts and lunches. They tend to fill up fast and be a little expensive, but they are some of the best ways for kids to get prolonged one-on-one interaction. If you're at a monorail hotel, there's likely a character meal there. They have a princess-specific breakfast at Epcot, a Winnie the Pooh lunch and dinner at WDW, the castle meal and all sorts of other parks stuff.

Skip Hollywood Studios/MGM/whatever it is now. Not really little-kid friendly. Animal Kingdom has some stuff for small kids, as does Epcot, but both are more for the tween/teen/adult crowd.

3. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

This may not be the most popular suggestion, but I would skip taking the baby to the parks entirely. If you and Mr. Lugz can agree on the plan, one of you take the four-year-old to the Magic Kingdom each day, and the other hang out with the littlest at the hotel, Downtown Disney, or wherever. The noise and crowds are hard enough on the best-behaved of children who are old enough to be aware of their surroundings; your youngest won't know the difference. Plus it can be a real PITA dealing with a stroller at the rides.

If you're not going to do the biggies - Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and the like - the FastPass isn't worth it. It can only be used on certain rides: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/magic-kingdom/ The meal plan, however, definitely is.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

YOU'RE A #1 Top Disney World Tip. Though I know for a fact that I'm not.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

If you do one of the character meals, a must is Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort. We hit it up for breakfast when we go. It's a great time.

You can make reservations up to 180 days in advance of your arrival for any sit-down type meals, and I would highly recommend that you do this. Otherwise, it is very likely that you won't get seated at any of the restaurants. This does not apply to the standard places where you can grab a burger or chicken fingers or PB &J, but all the Parks and hotels have places you can sit down and order off an adult menu too.

If your 4-year old is into dinosaurs, make a trip to T-Rex restaurant at Downtown Disney. (It also accepts reservations, and I would suggest you go at lunch.) They also have a Build-a-dino place there (think Build-a-bear) that both of my kids loved while we were there this summer.

Animal Kingdom has Dinoland, an area where you can dig for dinosaur bones and play carnival games. My little ones loved this place.

Don't worry about Fastpass with a 4-year old and a baby. The only beneficial part of Fastpass for my family this summer (ages 3 and 6) was Toy Story Mania at Hollywood Studios, which was awesome. Also, right across from Toy Story Mania you can meet Woody and Buzz in Andy's room (neat indoor set-up, air conditioned and all).

Like others have said, don't try to squeeze too much in. We were there a week in July and didn't come close to doing everything we wanted, and my kids still had a blast.

But Fantasyland and Mickey's Toon Town are the best areas in Magic Kingdom for that age. Fantasyland is directly behind the castle, and Mickey's place is a short distance to the right of it.

6. Oh and make sure you go to the Bug's Life show - lots of fun. Really holds up after the years.

I second the recommendation of reservations for the breakfast with the characters.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you are bringing little kids staying at hotels on Monorail ( Grand Floridian/ Contemporary/ Polynesian) is highly recommended. It allows for early morning arrival at the Kingdom and return in afternoon for naps and swimming. Its crazy to try and do a whole day.

Staying at Disney Hotels also gives you opportunity to go to "Early Opening" Every day parks rotate which one opens early for Disney guests only. This will allow you to beat the crowds. In Kingdom most of little kid stuff is in Toon Town which fills up fast. You will want to go there first. Agree on character breakfast recommendation.
    You might also consider a reservation for lunch at Cinderella's Castle where you can also see the characters.

Be sure and go to a parade. they are better at night because after they do fireworks.

Also don't lug strollers to park . rent them for day at entrance.

I would skip EPCOT but definitely go to MGM and Animal Kingdom if you have all park pass.

I just read that Disney average # of rides that people can do in a day is 9 at peak times.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Double stroller, even if the older child balks. He'll thank you after an hour.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Take the kids to Chuck E Cheese and save a couple thousand bucks. You'll need it for their tuition before too long.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The pools at the Monorail hotels are generally really good. We did the morning arrival at the park then back to the room for the afternoon. We could have just stayed at the pool the rest of the day as it had a waterslide, splash fountains, etc.

I would not do Animal Kingdom with your kids. The pathways are more narrow if you are pushing a stroller and it seemed hotter than Magic Kingdom.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

If you're going to stay on the grounds, stay at one of the All-Star resorts. You'll save a bunch of cash. Besides, children that young don't give a hoot how nice the hotel is. The All-Stars (we stayed at Music a few years back) are nice, too, but without all the bells and whistles of some of the other resorts. They're along a bus line. We never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

My number 1 tip is arrive to the parks early. Get there for rope drop. I know it's a pain in the ass to have to wake up on vacation, but if you get there at least 30 minutes before park opening and you're there for rope drop, you'll find that in that first hour of park opening, you'll be able to ride pretty much anything you want with little or no wait at all.

Since you're traveling with a 4-year old and infant, head directly to Fantasyland. That's the most bang for the toddler buck. Ride It's a Small World, Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo, Prince Charming's Carousel, Teacups (if you don't get dizzy). See Mickey's Philharmagic in 3D. After that, I'd probably head into Toontown (provided it's still open, since it's due to close soon). In Toontown, you'll see the characters (Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, the Fairies).

On the second day, I'd still arrive early and probably head to Adventureland to start the day. You can ride the Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride, Pirates of the Carribbean and continue to make your way around to Frontierland where you can ride Haunted Mansion. Another can't-miss, especially for you and the 4-year old, is Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, which is an arcade shooting style game.

Oh, and if you plan to eat in the parks, make ADRs (advanced dining reservations). One that I would suggest is a breakfast at Crystal Palace. And if you make it as early as they allow, you'll already be in the park before it even opens. We do that on every trip. You miss the rope drop presentation at the train station, but you don't have to stand in line. You'll be eating a great breakfast while everyone else waits. And the Crystal Palace breakfast is buffet-style with characters (Winnie the Pooh and Friends).

Draft saved Draft deleted