1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your 5 Favorite Sopranos Episodes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jun 9, 2007.

1. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, I was going to fill out my list, but I hesitated because I didn't want to get shit from people saying three of my top five are the last three episodes, but it's kind of how I feel.

"Heidi and Kennedy"
    "Second Coming" - AJ suicide
    "The Blue Comet"

They were all fantastic episodes, and I think one of the reasons is the coming of age of Robert Iler (AJ). He's been phenomenal in the past few episodes playing AJ falling apart in front of our eyes.

2. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

My other ones are Long Term Parking and College, by the way.

3. pa writer

pa writer Member

It's funny that Robert Iler always got a lot of shit for being a terrible actor. He was never really called on to do anything but play an entitled, worthless lump -- which he did pretty effectively, I always thought.

But these last few episodes where he's crumbled have been a complete revelation.

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Your list is much, much better than that blogger's.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Thought I'd give this a bump and see if I could get anyone else to participate. I love High Fidelity, and it drives my wife crazy that I'm always making Top 5 lists (she says "I don't care who my five favorite characters are on Grey's Anatomy, I just like the show!") so I come to SportsJournalists.com to let out my inner nerd.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm still ironing it out, but I'll post a list eventually...

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I'm working on it too. I know everyone's waiting with bated breath.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

1. University -- The most brutal episode ever, and also the most socially concious. The back and forth with the Bing dancer and Meadow is perfectly cut, and this is the beginning of the end for Ralphie. The Madonna/whore complex is evident, but it doesn't become cliche. Tony struggles here as much as anywhere, and whether he knows it or not, he beats Ralphie to death later because that girl could have been Meadow.

2. Whitecaps -- Edie Falco and James Gandolfini are simply brilliant. All the damage is done in this episode -- from here people can't go back. Tony and Carmela or Tony and Johnny Sac. Carmela's jacking with real estate from this point in the series forward is her psychological manifestation of knowing that the fantasy Tony tried to give her in this episode can't ever come true.

3. The Telltale Moozadell -- Carmela is overtaken by Meadow choosing her father (Jackie Jr.) as a mate, while Tony is seduced by his mother (in the guise of Gloria Truillo) in the snakehouse at the zoo. He realizes it before it happens, when Gloria mentions something about Budhism, but he goes ahead anyway. Also notable for the scene which inspired the title, a witty little noir homage in a pizza parlor. Also notable for all the gift giving in the episode, and how no gift is truly given honestly. Tony gives Carmela a huge ring for her birthday, but really because he's fucking Gloria. AJ gives her a copy of the Matrix on DVD that he probably bought for himself. Meadow gives her mother a day at a spa, which she put on Carm's credit card, as well as a day for herself. Chris gives Ade a club, but only because he needs the front. Tony gives Melfi extra money, but it's really another guilt payoff. The desperate nature of all the characters -- completely self-obsessed, yet not at all self aware -- is in stark relief.

4. Fortunate Son -- Chris gets made, AJ passes out, and Tony realizes what's triggering the panic attacks. The lineage is set, and we get our first glimpse that neither AJ or Chris are going to inherit Tony's skill while they will inherit his flaws. Great therapy scene with Melfi, great flashback scene, great ending with AJ prone on the field and the coach yelling "Soprano!"

5. Soprano Home Movies -- This might get replaced with The Second Coming or Kennedy and Heidi, but this episode had it all -- fantastic cinematography, brilliant acting in the drunk monopoly scene and in the Janice-Carmela scene. The last remnant of Tony's new attitude is gone, as is Bobby's innocence. As DD said, really like a brilliant short story. I think it will stand up with the best of this series.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have to think about my 5 favourites but one of them that I could never forget was after Big Pussy dies and Bobby has to act as Santa at the party. One of the kids comes right up to him and says "**** you Santa". I couldn't believe the nerve of the kid but man it was so funny and it made me believe that it is quite possible for kids to really hate Santa after that episode. I watch that episode at least twice a month just for laughs.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Wow ... his house looked like shit."

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bumped with bated breath waiting for Winger's list...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

University may be the best hour of television I have ever seen...

College was great, as was Long Term Parking...

What was the name of the episode with the Russians? That was great as well...

Draft saved Draft deleted